What is currently available or in the works, in the way of "subcal" rounds?

Max Heat

What I'M looking/waiting for is something like, say a 6mm (.243) berger 105 LVD, having an integrated sabot, making it shootable out of a 7mm (.284) barrel. In the 7RUM, that would make it possible to sling them out at velocities topping 4200fps, while having almost DOUBLE the BC of an equivalent weight fullcal 7mm bullet. For extreme range shots, how could you beat that, in terms of less time in the air for outside forces to affect it, AND having considerably more energy left in it when it hits it's target? Other advantages to that type of projectile would include being able to stabilize it in a slow twist barrel (because the velocity would be so much higher than the same bullet (un-saboted) out of a "native" 6mm (-dash whatever) barrel. And, I think this one's a biggie, no erosion of the throat, due to the leading edge of the rifling lands only having to carve into plastic (or other polymer/composite material), not hard copper. Also, the extra amount of freebore that is put into the 7RUM to keep the initial pressure spike down would not be necessary, as long as ONLY subcal rounds were used in it. That might also give accuracy somewhat of a boost. Is there anything in the works, to this effect? If not, what about possible, feasible, worth looking into, maybe in good time, or too far down-the-road to even be THINKING about now? Also, could this be the answer to keeping the 7RUM from going extinct?

The priority here(LRH) is accuracy.
In this regard, saboted rounds have never demonstrated real potential.
The problem, as with slug guns, is clean separation.

Yeah, a velocity contest would be a different matter.

The priority here(LRH) is accuracy.
In this regard, saboted rounds have never demonstrated real potential.
The problem, as with slug guns, is clean separation.

Yeah, a velocity contest would be a different matter.

I believe that the only reason that saboted rounds have never demonstrated real potential is because there isn't anybody seriously trying to develop a product which is able to addresses that issue. Or any other issues, for that matter. The ones available now aren't really any different from the "original" ones, that I know of anyways. There needs to be SOME development in the material(s) that they are made of, in order for the product to improve, right? Another thing that I believe will help address the primary issue, is to go closer in calibers than the infamous 22/30 sabot. It only makes sense that thinner side pedals would allow for cleaner separation, if THAT is where the biggest accuracy drop occurs. But I think the real issue is that nobody really gives a **** about them. So probably nobody thinks it would be a worthwhile endeavor to try to make them better. But I think it can be done, and eventually it WILL be. I just want it to happen more quickly. Someone probably IS going to have to come up with a better one, in order for people to take notice of how much better they are than what the 1st gen (current) ones, and THEN maybe the market will get going. I would like to see it happen while I'm still kicking, anyways!

Well the military loves em as they have many specialty rounds that don't fit bores otherwise, and can fire enough to hit whatever -eventually..
Black powder crowd loves em. That outta get you droppin dear to 200yds.~

If you R&D a way the get bolt action centerfire accuracy from sabots, you will merely have caught up to where the rest of us are without them.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.