What is a good projectile for shooting thar

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Wils37, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Wils37

Wils37 Member

Hi,

I don't know if there is any Thar hunters out there but I just wanted to know what good projectile would be. I have been using 139 grain 7mm08 hornady ballistic tips to shoot kangaroos and when I shot a big buck roo in the shoulder I expected a big exit hole but there was none. I'm going to south Westland in new Zealand thar hunting in April and I wonder if this projectile will be good enough for a tuff old bull thar

2. RMulhern

RMulhern Well-Known Member

Anything that would kill a Billygoat should wipe out a thar!!

3. 7 loader

7 loader Well-Known Member

I second that.

4. rscott5028

rscott5028 Well-Known Member

You should also check with your outfitter and find out what distances and conditions they're shooting in.

It always helps if you're prepared to put the bullet where it counts.

-- richard

5. blacknzr1

blacknzr1 Well-Known Member

now im new to all this but from what i understand... if you were using the sst and the shot was close. that maybe what you would expect. im using the sst, and from what i understand is they need to loose speed to work better.

6. kiwi3006

kiwi3006 Well-Known Member

139 sst should work, the other option is a 140 accubond. Bull tahr are a bit tougher than a billy goat and can take a bit of putting down.

7. 7 loader

7 loader Well-Known Member

I would try the 139 gr GMX. So far it has done well in my 270 with little change to the load form a SST.

8. MeatEater

MeatEater New Member

That should be whatever will wipe out a billy goat, might, if you get your shot placment right, kill a Thar.
    These animals have a tendency to soak up lead and calmy walk out of sight/reach