What is a good projectile for shooting thar

Wils37

Hi,

I don't know if there is any Thar hunters out there but I just wanted to know what good projectile would be. I have been using 139 grain 7mm08 hornady ballistic tips to shoot kangaroos and when I shot a big buck roo in the shoulder I expected a big exit hole but there was none. I'm going to south Westland in new Zealand thar hunting in April and I wonder if this projectile will be good enough for a tuff old bull thar

You should also check with your outfitter and find out what distances and conditions they're shooting in.

It always helps if you're prepared to put the bullet where it counts.

-- richard

now im new to all this but from what i understand... if you were using the sst and the shot was close. that maybe what you would expect. im using the sst, and from what i understand is they need to loose speed to work better.

I would try the 139 gr GMX. So far it has done well in my 270 with little change to the load form a SST.

Anything that would kill a Billygoat should wipe out a thar!!

That should be whatever will wipe out a billy goat, might, if you get your shot placment right, kill a Thar.
These animals have a tendency to soak up lead and calmy walk out of sight/reach

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.