What hunting scopes track the best

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by hunter4764, Apr 4, 2009.

1. hunter4764

hunter4764 Well-Known Member

I am new to long range hunting, can some of you guys tell me what scopes track the best. I plan on using something in the 12 to 16 power range and have really considered installing a Kenton hunting turret on the scope that I choose to go with. I think the Huskmaw is to expensive for the quality of the scope. I don't feel you need a 20 power scope on deer sized game out to about 800yds. That is about the max, I would like to shoot.
    Thank you,
    Jerry

2. shootinfool

shootinfool Well-Known Member

I like leupold, always have, and only have leupold scopes. I think that they are a good value for the dollar and havent noticed any problems tracking with them. My personal favorite of the leupolds are the 4.5-14's and the 6-18's. I hear alot of talk about nightforce, but have never owned or tried one. They are a little pricey but after watching shawn carlocks video and seeing how they track and repeat, I would say that you would not have any problems with repeating in those scopes. Eventually I do plan to own one.

3. Thwap

Thwap Member

My only experience with a scope that didn't track right was a Swarovski. Maybe a fluke. I put it on a rifle that doesn't get dialed and bought a 14X Leupold from John Burns with the yardage turret and wind reticle. Works and tracks great and its the older single spring. They have 2 springs now which is supposed to be better.

4. bryceh12321

bryceh12321 Well-Known Member

Check out a Sightron SIII. Can't be beat for the money.

5. Derek M.

Derek M. Well-Known Member

Schmidt & Bender, then Zeiss, then Nightforce, then Leupold.