What Hand Gun do you use for Personal Protection??

I always carry a glock 19 9mm. I will never leave the house without it. I cant beleive that there isnt more people that carry glocks. If your life depends on it, I would never take a chance of having some sort of failure due tothe weapon not being cleaned well enough after the last time you shot it, or too much dust has settled in it and collected on any lube, etc. About the only other gun I would consider carrying is probably a SIG, something in the P226 or P229 range. I used to carry a H&K usp .45 and it was a great gun as far as accuracy and reliability but it was a bit bulky and was hard to hide and with all of the attention on people having guns in public as a late, I will opt for something a little more concealable. I will not however go to any subcompact weapon. It just seems that you give up too much to have a smaller weapon. And to the point of not having a thumb safety and being scared of just the safety on the trigger and shooting your third leg off, you may need to practice and get your confidence level up a bit, I always carry with one in the pipe. It seems silly to me to have to not only take the time to draw the weapon, when your life is on the line, but then to have to rack the slide to even opperate it. You may as well just start swinging. Of coarse, this is just my opinion and it should not be taken personal, even if you are one that is worried about shooting your (brains) out:Dgun):rolleyes:!

I always carry a glock 19 9mm. I will never leave the house without it. I cant beleive that there isnt more people that carry glocks. If your life depends on it, I would never take a chance of having some sort of failure due tothe weapon not being cleaned well enough after the last time you shot it, or too much dust has settled in it and collected on any lube, etc. About the only other gun I would consider carrying is probably a SIG, something in the P226 or P229 range. I used to carry a H&K usp .45 and it was a great gun as far as accuracy and reliability but it was a bit bulky and was hard to hide and with all of the attention on people having guns in public as a late, I will opt for something a little more concealable. I will not however go to any subcompact weapon. It just seems that you give up too much to have a smaller weapon. And to the point of not having a thumb safety and being scared of just the safety on the trigger and shooting your third leg off, you may need to practice and get your confidence level up a bit, I always carry with one in the pipe. It seems silly to me to have to not only take the time to draw the weapon, when your life is on the line, but then to have to rack the slide to even opperate it. You may as well just start swinging. Of coarse, this is just my opinion and it should not be taken personal, even if you are one that is worried about shooting your (brains) out:Dgun):rolleyes:!

I can undertsand the ideah of taking to long to rack the slide but I hav small kids that like to run up and grab me around the leg right below the barrel of a loaded gun . So now you may see why I would keep the chamber empty. If it helps I am super fast at the draw:D

I can undertsand the ideah of taking to long to rack the slide but I hav small kids that like to run up and grab me around the leg right below the barrel of a loaded gun . So now you may see why I would keep the chamber empty. If it helps I am super fast at the draw:D
sure leaves you in a quandry for carry methods doesn't it? My little one does that to.

sure leaves you in a quandry for carry methods doesn't it? My little one does that to.
Yes sir it sure does. I used to have a 1911 45 ACP that I carried it had the thumb safety and the 1911 grip style safety even with it I never got comfortable enough to keep it loaded in my waste band due to the kiddos. So I just kept the clip loaded and the chamber empty. I think I could rack it very fast if my family was in danger......

Nightstand duty is a STI Edge (21 rounds of .40).

Carry is a Kimber Compact Aluminum Stainless.

Use old school 45 cap, brand is a Para Ordance P14 Limited!!! No replacement for displacement!!!! 185 gold dots!!!

My friend has a para-ordinance 45. I was amazed at how sloppy the slide was and how loose the chamber is. His will chamber anything handloaded. My Kimber will only chamber FL resized (to the base) 45 brass and the slide is tight, but then, you get what you pay for, I guess.

My favorite carry gun is featured in the NRA 'American Hunter' magazine this month, the Bond Snakeslayer in the 45LC/410 flavor.

My friend has a para-ordinance 45. I was amazed at how sloppy the slide was and how loose the chamber is. His will chamber anything handloaded. My Kimber will only chamber FL resized (to the base) 45 brass and the slide is tight, but then, you get what you pay for, I guess.

My favorite carry gun is featured in the NRA 'American Hunter' magazine this month, the Bond Snakeslayer in the 45LC/410 flavor.

Run a Dremel with a felt wheel and some jewelers rouge in that Kimber and it will feed empties from the mag.....and it won't hurt accuracy.

Run a Dremel with a felt wheel and some jewelers rouge in that Kimber and it will feed empties from the mag.....and it won't hurt accuracy.

I imagine that would work for the Wilson Combat I have as well. Both are tight chambering. Really not an issue. I carry neither. I bought both because I like the look of a Kimber full size and the Wilson full size. They are usually in their cases in the safe. My carry is the Bond, in my pocket.

I know neither like handloads becaue we were at the range and I fired (and jammed) both on handloads the para worked fine with. The wooden edge of the picnic table came in handy that day.....:) They both are usually fed Winchester White box 45 ball. I have hundreds of those, possibly thousands.

I imagine that would work for the Wilson Combat I have as well. Both are tight chambering. Really not an issue. I carry neither. I bought both because I like the look of a Kimber full size and the Wilson full size. They are usually in their cases in the safe. My carry is the Bond, in my pocket.

I know neither like handloads becaue we were at the range and I fired (and jammed) both on handloads the para worked fine with. The wooden edge of the picnic table came in handy that day.....:) They both are usually fed Winchester White box 45 ball. I have hundreds of those, possibly thousands.

Sounds like bad handloads. Don't run that Wilson up against the table! When they lock up tight just short of battery, wrap your whole weak hand over the top of the rear of the slide and then smack the backstrap with the webbing (between the thumb and forefinger) of the stronghand. They pop right open doing that.

My main carry gun was a Ruger SP101 in 357 for years, I carried it in a high hip holster which was fine other than I always felt it was pulling my pants down. A few months ago I bought an XD-s in 45 and i carry it in my pocket. It out shoots the ruger easily, its lighter smaller and even though its only a 5 shot I feel pretty well equipped with it. I havent reloaded for it as I am still shooting up the factory ammo I bought for it, but I have a couple hundred 200 grain hornady xtp's that I plan to shoot out of it.

Sig P238 or Kimber Covert Pro 45. The P238 is surprisingly accurate and the Kimber is accurate as expected. Use an inside the waistband rig for both.

Kahr PM9 with Tru-dot night sights and an extra extended mag in my back pocket if I'm in town, it is also my "pepper spray" in the pickup when i am traveling. The Ruger SBH if i am working on the ranch, hunting or in the mountains, sometimes i also carry it in town in the winter time under my jacket.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts