What Hand Gun do you use for Personal Protection??

bigbuck

I just bought a Smith and Wesson M&P .40 Cal . I have a Concealed weapons permit and I decided to purchase something that would hold more rounds "Larger Mag" :D I go to church with a man that bought one and he let me shoot his and so here I am with a new toy... It is pretty accurate, given the price I feel it is a good Bang for the buck. Holds 15 in the mag and 1 in the chamber.

What do you guys carry for personal protection ?
Thanks for looking...

My bedroom gun is a Glock 22 .40. It is hi-cap and always goes bang. I found it to be too large to carry comfortably/well concealed, so I was carrying less and less.

I ended up getting a Walther PPS in 9mm as my new carry piece a few years back. It is a single stack (7+1) but is very thin. I'm 6'4" and it doesn't disappear in my hand as it has a wide grip, but it is thin which makes concealed carry much easier. Over the last several years most of the majors have introduced thin carry guns in 9mm. In my opinion it is a trade-off: less capacity and power than bigger .40s, more power than 380s while only slightly larger. The PPS is available in .40 - I haven't shot one but heard they are pretty poppy - and most gun stores I go into have 3 or 4 used ones but curiously no 9's . . .

IMO the main thing is to have it with you and be able to get it into action quickly and effectively - the most powerful pistol you can do that with is your ideal carry gun.

I'm currently short a 9 right now, looking pretty hard at a M&P9mm, or a PT92. need to get another to justify the pile of 9mm components I've accumulated over the years. But for now the Herters Powermag 357 makes a good gun for the truck, backpack and night stand.

My bedroom gun is a Glock 22 .40. It is hi-cap and always goes bang. I found it to be too large to carry comfortably/well concealed, so I was carrying less and less.

I ended up getting a Walther PPS in 9mm as my new carry piece a few years back. It is a single stack (7+1) but is very thin. I'm 6'4" and it doesn't disappear in my hand as it has a wide grip, but it is thin which makes concealed carry much easier. Over the last several years most of the majors have introduced thin carry guns in 9mm. In my opinion it is a trade-off: less capacity and power than bigger .40s, more power than 380s while only slightly larger. The PPS is available in .40 - I haven't shot one but heard they are pretty poppy - and most gun stores I go into have 3 or 4 used ones but curiously no 9's . . .

IMO the main thing is to have it with you and be able to get it into action quickly and effectively - the most powerful pistol you can do that with is your ideal carry gun.

One of the youngins got sick so we took her to the Doctors office and I carried the 40 with me it has a 4 and 1/4 inch barrel . I carry inside the waste band . It is a little uncomfortable while sitting down but is okay while walking and standing. I may decide to get a new outside the waste band holster.

One of the youngins got sick so we took her to the Doctors office and I carried the 40 with me it has a 4 and 1/4 inch barrel . I carry inside the waste band . It is a little uncomfortable while sitting down but is okay while walking and standing. I may decide to get a new outside the waste band holster.

No doubt in my mind the .40 is a superior cartridge. If I wasn't such a wuss I would still carry mine! If you find you have the same issue, it can always be viewed as a reason to get another gun. Not that you need a reason . . .

Always like when the good guys are packin'

Hope your little one is OK.

No doubt in my mind the .40 is a superior cartridge. If I wasn't such a wuss I would still carry mine! If you find you have the same issue, it can always be viewed as a reason to get another gun. Not that you need a reason . . .

Always like when the good guys are packin'

Hope your little one is OK.

Thank you sir for your concern she is doing much better .
Have a good evening.

Beretta 92 in. 40 S & W.

Awwwwww Joe.. such a cute little gun! :D

Just kidding Coach.:)

My side arm is Glock 20, 10mm. Got it when I was in Panama and we have been 'close' ever since! :)

Mom's packin a Colt Python .357 6" and a S&W Bodyguard as her CC baby, she's named it 'Kevin'.. she loved Kevin Costner in 'Bodyguard':rolleyes:

I call my Glock "Hans"... :D

Doc

I have a few to choose from, but my prefered carry pistol is a 1911 oficers model 45acp loaded with flying ash trays(200 grn hollow points). When I am in the woods I carry a Smith&wesson Mountian Gun in 44mag most of the time.

bigbuck---great choice and it is a great pistol. Get yourself some federal hydrashoks for that baby and you will have an awesome stopping handgun.
I have multiple handguns including that one and my "car" gun is a dan wesson 1911.
But the one that I carry most is a north american arms 22 magnum 5 shot. It NEVER does not go with me as it just fits right inside your pocket. Yeah, I know, its a 22 magnum. But what you will find with most folks is a pistol is cumbersome and they end up not carrying it. The best pistol is the one you are carrying. I usually carry two but the small one is always with me. I also carry the M & P in a ankle holster as it is the compact.

Randy

I'm the odd guy out again....

None of the above.

I carry infrequently but when I do, It's always my Bond Snakslayer 2 shot derringer, fits in your pocket like a set of keys or in it's tiny ballistic nylon holster. One chamber has a 410 shotshell with No.8 and the other has a hollow point 45 Long Colt.

First one to get the attention and cause terminal acne, the second one to drill a large hole.....

If you need more than two, you are done for anyway.

I have a Kimber and a Wilson but I prefer the small but mighty derringer.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.