what for accuracy

That depends on a lot of factors, in fact just about everything... Individual barrel, individual reciever/action, stock, bullet, load. You could probably expect anywhere from .5 MOA to 2 MOA... who knows???

Accuracy is a big subject with a lot of variables.

.75moa

I am happy with an out of the box accuracy around .75 MOA. That would make me happy, but I would expect it to be around MOA at best.

There are exceptions to the rule and people will post that there out of the box gun will do .25 all day.

What is your accuracy expectation?

At 100 yards,cloverleaf is expected. 200 yards maybe 1/2 inch groups. 300 yards 1 inch groups. Anything less,go back to drawing board and start with another combination of Bullet or primer,powder,case length, All guns have a sweet spot. Some are just harder to find than others. I have a Savage FVSS 223.
I can consistantly hit a 5 inch dong at 600 yards with it.

At 100 yards,cloverleaf is expected. 200 yards maybe 1/2 inch groups. 300 yards 1 inch groups. Anything less,go back to drawing board and start with another combination of Bullet or primer,powder,case length, All guns have a sweet spot. Some are just harder to find than others. I have a Savage FVSS 223.
I can consistantly hit a 5 inch dong at 600 yards with it.

That kind of accuracy may be desired and it does occur from time to time. But, I would not expect it from a production factor rifle unless the Mfg specifically states that they gaurantee it.

-- richard

Rscott-- That kind of accuracy should be expected at least. I have had 3 Savages now and all 3 will do that after working up a load. Not to push Savage as i have seen many Tikas do it with ease also. Just got back from range (5 hrs i was there) Guy got a brand new Savage 223 Edge ( new name now).With store ammo with in 20 shots was pulling 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards. Any rifle that will not pull 1/2 inch groups or smaller at 100 yards would not stay with me for very long. Just got my Savage FP in 308, 3 weeks ago, 50 rounds to work up load and it is pulling 1 inch groups at 300 yards already. I want tighter than that with in 3 more weeks. Will start tweaking load and COL and i am sure i will acheive it.

It all depends on what you want and how much you are going to put into it to get there. I have seen people that are very happy with 5 inch groups at 300 yards. That is there choice and more power to them. I don't push others for accuracy,but i do push my self to the envelope to acheive it. Down to the 1/10 th grain and the thousands of an inch COL. I cull all my brass and bullets. I only shoot Match grade bullets (Serria) and use Bench Rest Primers.

Rscott-- That kind of accuracy should be expected at least. I have had 3 Savages now and all 3 will do that after working up a load. Not to push Savage as i have seen many Tikas do it with ease also. Just got back from range (5 hrs i was there) Guy got a brand new Savage 223 Edge ( new name now).With store ammo with in 20 shots was pulling 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards. Any rifle that will not pull 1/2 inch groups or smaller at 100 yards would not stay with me for very long. Just got my Savage FP in 308, 3 weeks ago, 50 rounds to work up load and it is pulling 1 inch groups at 300 yards already. I want tighter than that with in 3 more weeks. Will start tweaking load and COL and i am sure i will acheive it.

It all depends on what you want and how much you are going to put into it to get there. I have seen people that are very happy with 5 inch groups at 300 yards. That is there choice and more power to them. I don't push others for accuracy,but i do push my self to the envelope to acheive it. Down to the 1/10 th grain and the thousands of an inch COL. I cull all my brass and bullets. I only shoot Match grade bullets (Serria) and use Bench Rest Primers.

Thanks for the qualifying information about your expectations. You're either a meticulous and formidable shooter/reloader, or just plain lucky.

It sounds like the former. But either way, I salute you.

I doubt your experience is representative of the general public.

Perhaps we just have a different definition of "expect"? Is it what you desire, or what the Mfg will stand behind.

There are plenty of threads in these forums where someone is shooting 1.5 MOA or greater and can't get the Mfg to do anything about it.

I like Savage. So, I'm not picking on them. Most other Mfgs are no different.

Savage Arms > Customer Service > Frequently Asked Questions
What is the expected accuracy of my centerfire model?

The accuracy of a firearm depends on the shooter, the ammunition being used, the conditions, and the condition of the gun. We do have factory specifications for accuracy on all of our firearms. For the centerfire models they are:

Sporter barrel models (Hunter, Weather-Warrior, Classic, Stevens Series): 1 1/2" or better at 100 yds
Varmint barrel models (Varmint, Law Enforcement Series): 1" or better at 100 yds

Savage Axis (Formerly the Edge): 2" or better - 3 shot group

-- richard

Thanks for the kind words Rscott. Yes this year is my first in Comp shooting. Im the rookie on the block. I have a lot to learn and thank god the others are very,very helpful in teaching.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts