what do you think of the ruger m77?

parkerbender

i think i may get a ruger m77 in a 220 swift for a long / very long range varmit and paper gun, am wanting to work my way up to 5-700 or so, i have read great and horrible reviews for m77's so i thought id ask the board what you guys think, it's a old model(not MKII) it has a normal tapered stock, timney trigger, is lapped and bedded by a respected gunsmith in our area, and is in mostly alright condition, (paint chips on triggerguard, etc.) it's the 'smith's dad's old varmit gun, the guy says it drives tacks, he wants 465 for it but says he can deal, okay, whats your opinions on the gun and the price? also, $75 to make it an ackley, is it worth it?

My dad has one in .220 swift. He loves it. Out of the box it shoots very tight groups.

Parker,

IF possible shoot the thing/look at bore with bore scope or both, theres a very good chance the barrels shot out, the barrel with on that gun is probably a 1/12 so you will not be able to shoot heavy bullets, and on a windy day it will make lr hits very hard, you might be alot happier with a 6mm or larger caliber at the ranges you described.

Brian

Long range is relative. Don't count on this being an over 500 yard gun. It will be a fun one though if it is not shot out.

A Savage would be a better purchase especially if you can find a used one that someone would part with.

how would i ask to see the bore without insulting the seller as he is a gunsmith and i did ask him if it the bore was still in good shape and he said it was, i dont know if i can shoot it as were in town, a bigger one (lincoln ne) at school and i dont know anyone around who has a farm place where i can shoot, also is using a bore sight retty foolproof, i honestly havnt used one as im a farm kid myself and we just shoot, this will be my first time loading rfle shells, i have a shotgun loader and a set of dies and hammer for pistols but im pretty new to this rifle thing, ANY unbiased info would be appreciated, thanks, also what is your opinion on bushnell scopes, i just got a good deal on a 3.5-10E series and a banner 6-18 shich one should i sell, or should i sell em both? thanks!

edit: also i think the twist is 1 in 9 but i'm not sure, sure looks quick tho

[ 04-20-2004: Message edited by: parkerbender ]

I have a M77 that is completly stock except for the ackley treatment. It shoots very well, but only with 55gr or even preferably 45-52gr bullets. It does have great trajectory out to 500 yards which is apealing, but the barrel heats up fast. I would want to shoot or inspect the rifle before you make any decisions. If it was well taken care of then it may be fine, I clean mine a lot, at the most 15 shots between cleanings, and I never let the barrel get too hot, and I have not seen any loss in accuracy since I got it.

The ackley treatment will gain you around 200fps. The farthest I have shot mine is 800 yards, but I could definatly tell that that was pushing it a little. It is very accurate out to 5 or 600 yards, but the little bullets quikly loose their steam and wind is a large factor.

Sorry I guess I was typing while you were.

If it is a 1-9 twist then it must not be the factory barrel, and you will be able to shoot the heavy bullets and it should work just fine for you.

if they didnt make factory barrels 1 in 9 then i dont think it is, the guy said it was faster than 1 in 12 which i figured was stock, at least i think it is stock, it says 220 swift stamped on the left side of the barrel by the reciever, also i really dont think i can test fire it, is that really common? none of the rifles either my dad or i have bought were test fired. is there any other way to look at it, if it is really common to test fire rifles i'll ask to but there's not any optics on it and theres not any local ranges so i guess.... thanks for replying so much,
-parker

Parker,

Go out and find a place to shoot that is the only way your going to hit stuff at long range, boresights in my opinion are a waste of money you can usally get fairly close with out one, get a rangefinder, know the ballistics of your gun, holdovers generally dont work very well when shooting past 300, ask to shoot that rifle, if he has a problem with it, it might be because its shot out, I have a busnell banner 6-18, its not a bad scope, but your going to be alot happier with a nikon/weaver/sightron.

Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.