What do you put over your muzzle brake?

Ive used brakes over ten years and electric tape 30. Never had a problem and have shot a 338 for most of that time and I put one piece over muzzle, then wrap brake, mine are fair sized on my Normas, never had a problem. Every I have shot in that time was tapped

Group;

I have thought about this question" what do you put over your muzzel brake" and the whole question has me at a loss..

If you have spent all that money for the brake??? Why are you covering it up??

Because one piece of debris in a barrel (and there are many more holes in a brake for debris to get into the barrel than if you don't use a brake) can ruin your barrel, brake and perhaps the shooter.

Group;

I have thought about this question" what do you put over your muzzel brake" and the whole question has me at a loss..

If you have spent all that money for the brake??? Why are you covering it up??

The 'brake' remains completely functional while covered to prevent debris from getting into the bore. Covering the brake doesn't mean the brake doesn't work.

Group;

After thinking about the issue of the junk getting into the barrel??? I don't think I would use ANY kind of tape but like the condom use that was used on some of "UNCLE SAM'S field trips I was invited to go along on.. They were good for one or two rounds..

I think I will try a piece of "Panty Hose" or fine fish net??

Water can still get in there and smaller debris. The product I mention in post #28 is the best thing I have found of several taps and finger cots, so far. Pretty cheap and durable as well.

Water can still get in there and smaller debris. The product I mention in post #28 is the best thing I have found of several taps and finger cots, so far. Pretty cheap and durable as well.

I like cheap and durable. When I had my Browning BOSS in 300 mag, I covered the boss brake with a single wrap of electrical tape. First time I fired that tape was gone, not to be found anywhere. Being an electrician, this was easy for me.
I think anything you use not made of steel will be gone first shot. So what do you have handy, scotch tape? finger cot? band aid?

I like cheap and durable. When I had my Browning BOSS in 300 mag, I covered the boss brake with a single wrap of electrical tape. First time I fired that tape was gone, not to be found anywhere. Being an electrician, this was easy for me.
I think anything you use not made of steel will be gone first shot. So what do you have handy, scotch tape? finger cot? band aid?

Whatever works for you...that's what counts. I have no issue with electrical tape on a non-braked barrel. I found it taking quite a bit of electrical tape to wrap up a big slab style brake, not that that's a problem. I like to have an amount of tape or whatever device I use to cover the brake/muzzle end so that I can re-cover the brake or muzzle end several times. I've never had to more than once, but that could change.

Unless I took, I don't know, half a roll of electrical tape with me, I wouldn't have enough tape with my to deal with wrapping the slab brake multiple times. My typical style of hunting is designated wilderness backcountry backpacking and I scrutinize every piece of gear in my pack for size and weight constantly. 3 or 4 of the above finger cots beat the half roll of electrical tape in both categories and is faster and easier to apply. If you don't hunt like that, then there's no issue, but nothing escapes rigid scrutinization in my pack.

I believe the bigger slab brakes commonly used in dedicated LR rigs are a different animal than the BOSS brakes, if I recall.

I hunt rugged and steep country, front carry. Had those small rubbers not hold up,my brakes are large on my 338 normas, Iput a few wraps around barrel or strip on mag or hinge plate if I shoot, for spare

I hunt rugged and steep country, front carry. Had those small rubbers not hold up,my brakes are large on my 338 normas, Iput a few wraps around barrel or strip on mag or hinge plate if I shoot, for spare

That's why I use the 'small rubbers' I use now. Several times thicker and stronger than 'normal'.

Just raid your wifes kitchen and snip off a finger or two from her dishwashing gloves, slip over the brake and wrap a rubber band around it behind the brake, when ready to fire slide the rubber band back and slip of the glove finger, very durable and easy to install/remove

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.