What do you like for a varmint Scope?

Broz

I just acquired a Weatherby Mark V Super Varmint Master in 22-250. I will be using this for Prairie dogs and yotes. I want external turrets in 1/4 moa and at least 4 x 14 x 50 but a bit bigger would be ok too. Will be shooting 50 to 60 gr bullets to 500 or so.

What would you mount on it?

Thanks!

Jeff

My Bushnell 6-24x50 tracks well and has done everything I asked of it. So has a recently acquired Super Sniper 20x. It's glass is actually a fair bit better than the Bushnell's, at 1050 yards I could easily see some detail on a spray paint can and the Bushnell just gave me the shape of the can. But a fixed 20x wouldn't be good if you got something close up, although mine is very good for the money. Certainly not as cool as a Nightforce, but if it's cheaper and you don't "need" a NF...

Yeah, I will probably end up with anothe Nightforce. A 3.5 x 15 x 50 or 56 would be good. But I really don't need one that expensive. That is why I wanted to see what other think. Meanwhile I will watch for a deal on a NXS.

Jeff

Man, another NXS! Must be nice!

If it's for a varmint gun the benchrest model might be alright...dunno how 1/8 clicks would be...makes me think of how much more clicking was involved with my Burris.

Thanks Guys I will look into thes options. How does the Sightron and the Ultra's track and return to zero. I have this habbit of twisting the knobs for every shot.:)

Jeff

Leupold would be a good way to go but if you can swing it a Nightforce would be better choice.

If we can be of help in getting any scope feel free to ask.

Mike @ CSGW

Leupold would be a good way to go but if you can swing it a Nightforce would be better choice.

If we can be of help in getting any scope feel free to ask.

Mike @ CSGW

Thanks Mike, I must have exposed target turrets so that would put me in the Mark IV line , right? Then the price would be with in stricking distance of a NXS. All things considered, I think the NF's are an excellant value, but just having a hard time justifying the price one on this rifle for 500 yard use. ( already have two NXS's) What I need is a smokin deal on a used NXS :D Please contact me if you have a suggestion.

Thanks Guys!

Jeff

Broz,

So far the ultra has been flawless in its return to zero, tracking has also been perfect, although mine seems to adjust a little more than .25 moa per click but it does it very very consitently.

Chris

Broz,

So far the ultra has been flawless in its return to zero, tracking has also been perfect, although mine seems to adjust a little more than .25 moa per click but it does it very very consitently.

Chris

Thanks Chris, They do look good. I may have to give one a try.

Jeff

How about a vx-111 6.5x20x40 long range (30mm tube) with varmint hunter reticle used for 500 (bought one this week) send it in and have the m1 knobs put on for 130.....630 total......1/2 the cost of a nf.........Is the nf twice as good for varmints?

Last edited:
The NF NXS scopes are nice, but too heavy and the eyepiece turns with power changes(which is a PITA). They also mount high.

My choice would be Leupold Mk4 8.5x25x50 with M1 knobs and Alumina flip-up covers.
This scope is relatively light, mounts low, glass as good as NF, tons of repeatable 1/4moa adjustment, side focus, 2nd focal plane, Std 30mm mounting, THE best covers, and plenty of power range.
If you dial in your scope for shots, you can go with a fine crosshair reticle out of the custom shop.
I get them this way by ordering through Planet optics. I used to get them in Med-Fine CH from Premier. This was the best, but no longer an option. The fine CH gets difficult for me to see at lower powers and it was not designed for this.
But you need fine subtension for single precision shots on small critters. If dusty out there, you need good flip-up covers to protect the lenses until just before the shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.