What do you hunt with?

I used to hunt motley county at lot, but as you said, the chopper has hits them hard. I still have a couple places to hunt there, but it's a little far for me, no more hogs than there are at my places. not sure if this vid is the north or middle Pease, but a friend took out this hog at 1,080 yards. he may have taught me a thing or two about long range shooting, but he ain't got nuthin' on me in the dark :cool:

1080 yard hog shot - 338 Lapua - YouTube

Before the drought I was averaging 40 hogs a week during early and mid winter even with the helicopter coming several times a year. This was just driving from one pasture to another not hunting. They were in cotton fields, wheat fields, everywhere even moving during the middle of the day. As the drought intensified this number rapidly declined every week and the hogs moved to water to survive so the helicopter came in during the summer and hunted the few remaining water holes and hurt them bad. Shooting hogs came to a standstill but it was nice from a damage standpoint. They are now just starting to make a comeback. There was a sounder behind my house this winter that the game warden said had over 60 head in it. The helicopter got almost all of them in May but they are now back to 20 plus. Several of the farmers think the threat is over now and have planted over 500 acres of peanuts. This will be interesting to watch. My money is on the hogs.

Definitely enjoyed the video!!! Very nice shot!

I saw those kinds of numbers a few years ago. Might have to check it out again just to see. In other places I've seen several circles of peanuts planted this year and last that didn't even have a hot wire around them because the hogs were killed off. I still check them occasionally and don't even see a track. I didn't think anything could control their numbers but the chopper has made a believer out of me.

mowed these down getting a drink under a pivot system.

group.JPG

finally ran out of my lifetime supply of 150gr rem corelokts and used some 3rd party reloads topped with 168gr amax. don't know what powder was used but they run a lot cleaner. the suppressor blowback from the corelokts made the rounds in the magazine look like the whole shell was moly coated!

teeth.JPG

I have hunted hogs with a flintlock longrifle, flintlock pistol ,1911 45 ACP but my main guns is a 444 marlin. Here is a nice days hunt with dogs. Most were shot with the 1911. A friend told me if you pass a truck full of hogs on the expressway they might be rednecks. LOL:D

Last edited:
Tnwhip I like the idea of a 444 Marlin! Nice rifle!. Nice load of hogs too.

A little off the subject but...

Seeing your load of hogs reminded me of a funny thing that happened late one fall evening several years ago. I was working in the shop and looked up and watched one of my peanut farming neighbors drive thorough my electric fence chasing a sounder of hogs across my wheat field. I wasn't concerned about it as I heard him start shooting. In about 30 minutes he came driving down the road with a load of hogs like yours and was dragging a large boar with a chain that they could not load because he was too big. He asked me to turn off my fencer so he could repair my fence and I told him that when he finished I would turn it on and he could go back home. A short time later one of my deer hunters walked up pretty darn mad. He demanded to know who the idiot was that drove across his wheat patch shooting and messing up his deer hunting. This bowhunter was a big man, ex-military, a man that you could tell that was used to getting things his way even if he had to thump you to get it. He said he was hiding behind a tree waiting for the deer to jump the fence to eat wheat when this guy comes tearing across his field shooting, making lots of noise and when the hogs got to the fence they turn down the fence and this idiot follows them running over them with his pickup. He throws his bow down and starts walking over to the fence to thrash this guy when the pickup slides to a stop, the driver falls out of the pickup and grabs a double headed ax and starts chopping up the hogs he's run over. The bow hunter said he stopped walking, turned and walked down a draw to avoid a confrontation. He said he didn't think he could whip someone that mad. It all ended up with everyone laughing about it after we explained how bad hogs destroy peanuts but it took a little time to get there.

Tnwhip I like the idea of a 444 Marlin! Nice rifle!. Nice load of hogs too.

A little off the subject but...

Seeing your load of hogs reminded me of a funny thing that happened late one fall evening several years ago. I was working in the shop and looked up and watched one of my peanut farming neighbors drive thorough my electric fence chasing a sounder of hogs across my wheat field. I wasn't concerned about it as I heard him start shooting. In about 30 minutes he came driving down the road with a load of hogs like yours and was dragging a large boar with a chain that they could not load because he was too big. He asked me to turn off my fencer so he could repair my fence and I told him that when he finished I would turn it on and he could go back home. A short time later one of my deer hunters walked up pretty darn mad. He demanded to know who the idiot was that drove across his wheat patch shooting and messing up his deer hunting. This bowhunter was a big man, ex-military, a man that you could tell that was used to getting things his way even if he had to thump you to get it. He said he was hiding behind a tree waiting for the deer to jump the fence to eat wheat when this guy comes tearing across his field shooting, making lots of noise and when the hogs got to the fence they turn down the fence and this idiot follows them running over them with his pickup. He throws his bow down and starts walking over to the fence to thrash this guy when the pickup slides to a stop, the driver falls out of the pickup and grabs a double headed ax and starts chopping up the hogs he's run over. The bow hunter said he stopped walking, turned and walked down a draw to avoid a confrontation. He said he didn't think he could whip someone that mad. It all ended up with everyone laughing about it after we explained how bad hogs destroy peanuts but it took a little time to get there.
Yea my 444 marlin is a great hog rifle. I made a curly ash stock for it. I shoot a cast 275g bullet that works great on anything. I can shoot the same bullets in my 44 mag pistol. That load of hogs was a good day. Most of the time we only get one of two. Once we were driving back in a field that my friends neighbor had a 200 acres of watermelons. We drove up to his neighbor and he said what are yall doing and my buddy said trying to keep the hogs out of your field and he said you ain't doing such a good job. He laughed and said there are 40 over on the far end of the pasture over there. We looked and sure enought there they were. It was 6 of us in two trucks. We took off and cut them off before they got to the woods and we jumped out and started pumping lead. I had my 54 flintlock long rifle this time. Two had auto shotguns with buckshot. My buddy always shoots a 92 win. in 256 mag. I think we killed 6. Then we turned the dogs loose and we got two more before we quit. I am going to miss those days. My buddy died last year so my hog hunting days in Florida are over.

Last edited:
Good looking lever action. Very nice. I showed up to a hog hunt many years ago with a marlin 45-70 lever gun. Folks chuckled at me and said they'd loan me a deer rifle if i couldn't afford one. When the smoke and dust cleared, the joke was on them :D

got this hog over the weekend. hunting conditions were bad, definitely in favor of the pigs. a little wind helps my approach, but 30+ mph winds make it hard to hold steady. add rain and sand to the mix, and it becomes difficult to see at all, let alone through the scope with water on the lens.

wooly1.JPG

I only had one approach to the herd due to wind and terrain. as I crested the top of a subtle terrace, a big boar guarded the path. I waited for him to move and hopefully join the herd, leaving the scope cover closed most of the time to keep water out and shielding the rifle to keep sand out of the action. I would have liked to take out quite a few along with the big one, but it wasn't to be. after getting soaked and sandblasted for 30 minutes, I was out of patience and options. I took out the guard hog with one shot to the shoulder and the herd was spared… for now.

wooly2.JPG

I use every thing from a 17 Mach2 to a 375JDJ but my AR-223 w/36gr Varmint Grenades do the best its all in the placement, in the ear and they are down in their tracks. This is one the wife got w/her 264lbc (6.5 Grendel) this week end.

Attachments

• IMG_0682.jpg
    IMG_0682.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0679.jpg
    IMG_0679.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 127
I too am a proponent of the one shot, one kill philosophy… for game animals. One shot is usually all you get! For hogs, however, I have heard that sometimes multiple shot opportunities may exist.

nvhogs2.JPG

That's purely academic of course, as I probably read it on the internet somewhere. Surely no one has the ability to rack up double digit kills at one time…

10.JPG

14.JPG

comm1a.JPG

groupa.JPG

rich3a.JPG

unless... ummm... unless you're the most interesting man in the world!

djpig.jpg

Mr Jones, I know its a bit much to ask. But if its not too much, could I ask you what all brands/calibers AR`s you have? Nice looking rifles, that almost looks like a GAP 10 or POF but I cant say for sure. Also, what are those bolt rifles you posted up? Looks like one is a Savage .338 LM 110 but I cant tell the others.

Thank you sir.

sometimes i use a colt sp1 223, but not very much. just wanted to try out the acog scope. sometimes I mount a pvs14 to it and use an ir laser.

the night rig is a dpms lr 308. I'm glad I got it before I knew I certain brands had a cult like following or I would have suffered brain damage picking one. it just happened to be in stock locally, so I got it. that rifle has gone through many cosmetic and functional changes, most noticeable is the prs stock, but it's basically still a dpms.

one of the bolt actions is a savage 110 ba in .338 lapua. should have a thunder beast can for it this week! one is a custom remington in 6.5 creedmoor. one pic shows a barrett 98b in .338 lapua, but it's not mine. i just used it cause my buddy already had his can.

you mentioned a pof. he's got one of those too and i'm very jealous

POF.jpg

if only i had been born rich instead of good looking...

hehe.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts