What do you guys think of this barrel tuning system??

kraky2

I've got one of the weatherby ultralights in 300 wby that shoots like crap and have been told that just the right amount of barrel pressure is what it needs. This looks like a great alternative in my viewpoint.

http://www.rifle-accuracy.com/sscutaway.htm

They are soon going to start working with existing stocks for just under $200 per installation. Maybe I can get that $1100 turd to shoot like my $279 savage stevens!!

Try shimming the barrel at the tip of the stock with different thicknesses of paper strips.
Business cards work.
If you find a thickness that works bed the tip of the stock to match.

Or, sell the turd & buy 3 Stevens' & a bunch of shootin stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DK

Any pressure on the barrel from any direction someplace near its mid section may improve accuracy. But only if the pressure is exactly the same force and direction for each shot. Which means the shooter has to hold the rifle with exactly the same support and pressure between the rifle and the shooter's body and/or rest for each shot. The pressure differes between benchrest postions and field positions. The flimsier the forend is, the more critical the holding pressure becomes.

Such things have been tried for over 80 years. None are repeatable across all shooting situations. A completely free floating barrel clear of the forend by 1/16th inch (sometimes more) hanging out of a properly bedded receiver has proved most accurate and repeatable. Free floating the barrel means the pressure on it remains constantly at zero regardless of how the rifle's held and/or supported.

The above aside, do what you think is best for both you and your rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts