What do you do to improve your accuracy?

old_heli_logger

I have a Thompson Center 50 cal Hawken. I've only shot it about 30 times and my accuracy was less than stellar. I think my .490 ball & 0.010 patch is too loose. I'll be trying a 0.015 patch next time out. I've read where people are doing what they call a spit patch between shots...I'll try that too. Right now I'm using Pyrodex powder, should I try 777?

Does anyone have any accuracy secrets they'd like to share?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
There are several good threads on this that may help.

Look at a thread under Long range hunting By Smoak Allen dated
10/4/07 called Muzzeloader accuracy.

And under Handloading A Thread called 45/70 Black Powder By
TelKev dated 10/14/07.

I hope this helps
J E CUSTOM

I always had better accuracy with a .495 ball and .010 patch, also I always shot 110 gr of P pyrodex.

keep everything consistant, ball starting, bullet seating etc. I always liked lubing with bore butter due to the fact that you could patch them tight but still didn't deform the ball.

Look at your patches while shooting, they should not be burnt through, just a dark cross on them.

Your rifle is a 1/48 twist so it may like a conical a lil better, try a few TC maxi balls through it with about 110-120 gr of pyro, I'm sure you'll find something it likes.

When I could see, my old 50 cal with the target tang sight just made a ragged hole at 100 yds with a patched round ball.
RR

Last edited:
Im for a 100+'s on the maxi balls, havent shot a sidelock in a long time but used to do it alot. 370 maxi balls 80 grs powerdex we used to have an invite only shoot called the "SHOOTOUT AT VERNS"....NO INLINES no scopes out to around 200 yards split bullets on axes swinging bottles name it we had a crazy shot for it. As in the previos posts consistancy is everything look at your M/L as a reload everytime you load it. Clean that thing the same after everyshot if you use 10 pacthes to clean it out use 10 on the next shot....make each shot in everyway as close to the preperatrion you did on the last.

Stick with Pyrodex. 777 takes a hot ignition so don't use it unless you have 209 or small rifle primer ignition. It'll work ok when warm, but if you go hunting and it is below freezing it can fail to ignite.

Thanks for the info everyone!! I switched from a 0.010" patch to a 0.015" and have been spit swabbing between shots and my group went from about 5 inches to about 2 inches (at 40 yards). All of my shooting has been with 70 grains of Pyrodex. My plan is to try different amounts of powder to see if I can improve my groups...although, 2 inches ain't too bad... :D

Thanks again!

ML

I like a .490 round ball with a .010 patch with TC Bore Butter. A spit patch can cause rust in the barrel. I prefer 3F BlackPowder. I shoot 80 grains(volume) of powder.

IMO consistency is the key. I realize BP is measured in volume, but once you know your volume you can weigh your charge for more consistency. Pressure is volume of powder and proper bullet seating. When I seat my bullet I use a range rod with a drill stop. That way I seat the bullet to the exact depth every time. This seating gives consistent pressure every time which equates to better accuracy. Tom.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.