What do ya'll think about a 6.5-375 Ruger?

During the design stages of the 6.5mm true short action wildcat the 6.5 Romulus I did some case capacity modeling/comparisons on Quick Design for a handful of the large capacity 6.5mm cartridges....... some of these were not on QD and dimensions were taken from the Ammo Guide website and plugged in to generate QD case capacities while others are simply the parent case necked down with no other changes ...... several are my wildcat designs , 6.5X68s MI (max imp.), 6.5 Long Range Hunter, 6.5 Prometheus & the short action wildcat 6.5 Romulus ....... While the max case length on the 6.5 Romulus can be run at WSM length for 102.5 gr capacity, function in a 2.830" coal requires deep seating of bullets to ogive that reduces case capacity anyway, the design intent was to operate in short actions factory mag boxes without requiring alterations....... there is a design on the full WSM 2.100" case length for max case capacity with mag box alterations, both are in build stages at this point.......

Some of you may have differing case capacities derived from different sources or actual cartridges and I am not contesting those results just presenting what the Quick Design program shows and to provide a quick reference table for those that are interested in the case capacity differences, I also provided the case h2o capacity with the necks cut off ...ie... up to neck/shoulder junction as a usable case capacity cross reference for all the cartridges.......

CARTRIDGE............................H2O to top of case mouth............H2O to neck/shoulder junction

6.5-338 Lapua.........................112.4 gr.....................................109.3 gr
6.5-300 RUM...........................109.2.......................................105.8
6.5 Long Range Hunter..............108.6.......................................104.6
6.5-338 RUM...........................105.7.......................................102.0
6.5 Prometheus.......................105.0.......................................100.5
6.5 STW..................................99.6.........................................96.1
6.5-375 Ruger...........................99.5........................................96.7
26 Nosler.................................98.4........................................94.9
6.5-300 WBY.............................98.4........................................93.4
6.5X68S MI..............................98.1........................................94.4
6.5 SIN MATCH.........................97.3........................................93.6
6.5 Romulus (longer case).........102.5........................................99.0
6.5 Romulus.............................96.0........................................92.5

During the design stages of the 6.5mm true short action wildcat the 6.5 Romulus I did some case capacity modeling/comparisons on Quick Design for a handful of the large capacity 6.5mm cartridges....... some of these were not on QD and dimensions were taken from the Ammo Guide website and plugged in to generate QD case capacities while others are simply the parent case necked down with no other changes ...... several are my wildcat designs , 6.5X68s MI (max imp.), 6.5 Long Range Hunter, 6.5 Prometheus & the short action wildcat 6.5 Romulus ....... While the max case length on the 6.5 Romulus can be run at WSM length for 102.5 gr capacity, function in a 2.830" coal requires deep seating of bullets to ogive that reduces case capacity anyway, the design intent was to operate in short actions factory mag boxes without requiring alterations....... there is a design on the full WSM 2.100" case length for max case capacity with mag box alterations, both are in build stages at this point.......

Some of you may have differing case capacities derived from different sources or actual cartridges and I am not contesting those results just presenting what the Quick Design program shows and to provide a quick reference table for those that are interested in the case capacity differences, I also provided the case h2o capacity with the necks cut off ...ie... up to neck/shoulder junction as a usable case capacity cross reference for all the cartridges.......

CARTRIDGE............................H2O to top of case mouth............H2O to neck/shoulder junction

6.5-338 Lapua.........................112.4 gr.....................................109.3 gr
6.5-300 RUM...........................109.2.......................................105.8
6.5 Long Range Hunter..............108.6.......................................104.6
6.5-338 RUM...........................105.7.......................................102.0
6.5 Prometheus.......................105.0.......................................100.5
6.5 STW..................................99.6.........................................96.1
6.5-375 Ruger...........................99.5........................................96.7
26 Nosler.................................98.4........................................94.9
6.5-300 WBY.............................98.4........................................93.4
6.5X68S MI..............................98.1........................................94.4
6.5 SIN MATCH.........................97.3........................................93.6
6.5 Romulus (longer case).........102.5........................................99.0
6.5 Romulus.............................96.0........................................92.5

The problem is, it matter not how big the case is but how much horse power can be squeezed through such a small opening to be useful...

Case in point, the 7 Rum, 7-300/338 Norma mag, 7-300/338 Norma mag Imp, 7-338 Lapua mag & 7-338 Lapua mag Imp, all have different case capacities but all have about the same velocity ceiling with 180s even though the case capacity is completely different ...

The problem is, it matter not how big the case is but how much horse power can be squeezed through such a small opening to be useful...

Case in point, the 7 Rum, 7-300/338 Norma mag, 7-300/338 Norma mag Imp, 7-338 Lapua mag & 7-338 Lapua mag Imp, all have different case capacities but all have about the same velocity ceiling with 180s even though the case capacity is completely different ...

Agreed 100%............

my monkeying around with the 6.5 Prometheus has shown very little velocity increase with 140 gr bullets after about 96 gr of US869, 160 gr bullets showed a bit more vel. increase but also topped out and cramming case full of powder and hard crush seating did not show much velocity gains other than raising pressures........, the simple explanation is we do not have powders yet for such overbore 6.5mm fire breathing monsters, the 6.5 Romulus design is what I have come up with based on usable powder for 160 gr 6.5mm bullets in a short and yet fatter case in hopes of more efficiency to beat all the longer cartridges with less powder ...... all theory at this point and the project continues

Swamplord:

Thanks for the reply there, I have seen your 6.5 Prometheus (shortened 6.5/.338LMimp) at AmmoGuide is now... "Interactive"!, and a 6.5/300RCM that were very interesting. But I have fallen in love with a 6.5/.375Ruger, thinking it was somewhat smaller in case capacity than the 26 Nosler, a 6.5/300RUM2.59".
How is it that the 6.5/.375Ruger is a wee bit larger than the 26 Nosler in your case capacity tabulation? That is shocking news to me.

Kiwi Greg,
Is the 26 Terminator yours? Any specifics on that proprietary cartridge dimensions would be appreciated.
If you have already done what I want on the other side of the pond, I am stuck with recreating the wheel, or is there a reamer source here in the USA.
26 Rip is a 26 Terminator ripoff.

Swamplord:

Thanks for the reply there, I have seen your 6.5 Prometheus (shortened 6.5/.338LMimp) at AmmoGuide is now... "Interactive"!, and a 6.5/300RCM that were very interesting. But I have fallen in love with a 6.5/.375Ruger, thinking it was somewhat smaller in case capacity than the 26 Nosler, a 6.5/300RUM2.59".
How is it that the 6.5/.375Ruger is a wee bit larger than the 26 Nosler in your case capacity tabulation? That is shocking news to me.

Kiwi Greg,
Is the 26 Terminator yours? Any specifics on that proprietary cartridge dimensions would be appreciated.
If you have already done what I want on the other side of the pond, I am stuck with recreating the wheel, or is there a reamer source here in the USA.
26 Rip is a 26 Terminator ripoff.

Hi Ron.
I did the .264, .284, .308 & .338 /375 Rugers, all just straight neck down, I also mucked around with the Basic Brass which will give you another 1/8" or so in length but is pain to neck down.

I got the reamers custom made from PT&G 4 years ago.

My versions hold around 97 Grains of H2O full to top of neck, fired brass, the 300 Blaser only has 94 Grains of H2O, fired brass, which surprised me.

I may have another play with my 26 Terminator tomorrow haven't used it for well over a year...too many toys to play with, 6.5 Saum imp to spark up tomorrow :)

Hi Ron.
I did the .264, .284, .308 & .338 /375 Rugers, all just straight neck down, I also mucked around with the Basic Brass which will give you another 1/8" or so in length but is pain to neck down.

I got the reamers custom made from PT&G 4 years ago.

My versions hold around 97 Grains of H2O full to top of neck, fired brass, the 300 Blaser only has 94 Grains of H2O, fired brass, which surprised me.

I may have another play with my 26 Terminator tomorrow haven't used it for well over a year...too many toys to play with, 6.5 Saum imp to spark up tomorrow :)

Kiwi Greg,

Thanks for the reply.
Then the 26 Rip with the shoulder pushed back to caliber length neck, and capacity about 95 grains of water, is about 2 grains less than the 26 Terminator.
No want or need to use basic cylindrical brass, aye!

Can I ask Dave Kiff at PT&G for a look at your reamer print before I finalize my reamer specs?

What sort of throat do you have?

6.5 Creedmoor sort of throat makes the most sense to me.

Thanks again.

Ron

Dave Manson's drawings are the most readable, easy on the eyes.
I whited-out some numbers on the ".395 Ruger Max" drawing he did for me, way back when, and wrote in the "26 Ripmoor" specs.
Will see if he agrees with those numbers.

26RipmrFinReamProp_zps9jlascuj.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.