What do ya'll think about a 6.5-375 Ruger?

Since I inadvertently resurrected this thread, here's an update...

Decided to do a 6.5 WSM instead as a first build and experiment with nitirding. Project was recently completely and am in load development stage.

Action used was a Vanguard (Howa) and was black nitrided along with the barrel by H&M.

I used RL17 in testing the 130 CE bullets and got descent results but determined that 17 is just too fast for the cartridge. So 17 would definitely be too fast for the smaller cal Dakotas. RL33 on the other hand is producing very good velocities in the 6.5 WSM. Retumbo is also working well and am able to push 140's at about 3400 through a 27" nitirded tube. 33 had the 140's up to over 3500 but not sure about the pressures there.

My next step in this direction will be what I am calling a 270 Montana which is off the 300 Dakota case... seen here in this thread.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/just-little-teaser-119197/index4.html

I have decided to use the Dakota case because after recieving a 100 count lot of their brass, I was very impressed (made by Hornady to Dakota specs). Also, the forming process would be simpler and might be able to get away with not having to turn necks. So IMO, worth the extra $$$ for the brass.

After the 270 Montana, assuming nitriding is giving me good barrel life, will be the 264 Montana (6.5/300 Dakota)

Did you ever have the rifle built?

No, dangit. :( Life, kids, childcare and $$ got in the way, not necessarily in that order. Almost did it and then elected to build a 6XC instead... a decision I do not regret. Looks like the 26 Nosler might be next though. Again, some of it depends on what the dimensions are. If I can leverage the reamer I have... great... if not, then I'll have to wait and see what the specs are from PTG and see what the differences are if any.

The Montana sounds like a sweet rig. Super close to a 270/375 or in this new context a 270/26 I suppose.

No, dangit. :( Life, kids, childcare and $$ got in the way, not necessarily in that order. Almost did it and then elected to build a 6XC instead... a decision I do not regret. Looks like the 26 Nosler might be next though. Again, some of it depends on what the dimensions are. If I can leverage the reamer I have... great... if not, then I'll have to wait and see what the specs are from PTG and see what the differences are if any.

The Montana sounds like a sweet rig. Super close to a 270/375 or in this new context a 270/26 I suppose.

Yup, if the Nosler brass is any good, the 26 Nosler might be the way to go. That said, I read a lot of reports that Nosler brass is on the soft side and they, Nosler is very proud of it which reflects in the prices. It might be worth just sticking with the Dakota brass. It's not that much more than Nosler.

That round is basically the 26 nosler. It was released at SHOT this year. And the 7mm -375 is basically the 7LRM and Dakota.

That round is basically the 26 nosler. It was released at SHOT this year. And the 7mm -375 is basically the 7LRM and Dakota.

Yup, this thread was started 3 years ago and my question was, "did the inventors of the 26 Nosler possibly read this thread back then?". There was also a lot of discussion about the 7mm/375 Ruger back them before the 7 LRM came out.

I have built several 7 & 30-375 Rugers, RL 33 certainly perks up the 7mm:)

I'm really looking forward to doing the 6.5 & 338-375 Rugers.

It will be very interesting to see how they go with the powders available now.

I played with the same Idea before going to the 6.5 Osprey. I found that it was easier to buy 30 Newton brass from Buffalo Arms or Cap Tech Int. and neck down to 6.5 and improve to 0.015" taper with a 35 deg. shoulder and a 0.260 neck length. You will still get the same powder cap. as a 6.5 or 7mm STW, with a case length of only 2.52" allowing room for the long 140 and 160 grain bullets. To form the neck only requires an intermediat 7mm Collete and then right into the 6.5 for loading.

Either way good luck with your project.

P.S. I forgot to list the case dia. My Hornady 375 Ruger Basic mic's in at 0.530" head and rim dia. and the Newton is 0.5285"head and 0.525" for the rim. So they are virtually the same however, the Newton is much faster and easier to create.

What is the rim dia. on the Dakoat brass? Is it .532" or will I have to have a gunsmith open the bold face up to provide for the larger rim diameter?

What is the rim dia. on the Dakoat brass? Is it .532" or will I have to have a gunsmith open the bold face up to provide for the larger rim diameter?

The Dakota rim is spec'd @ .545 The actual rim diameter of the 300 Dakota brass I have is about .542 give or take a thou. It will fit into some standard mag bolt faces and some need to be opened slightly, depending on manufacturer.

Sounds like worthy project. Where can I find brass for less than $2.00 a case? I found that Midwayusa and Garf have the brass but it runs $2.25 or $2.05 each.

Sounds like worthy project. Where can I find brass for less than $2.00 a case? I found that Midwayusa and Garf have the brass but it runs $2.25 or $2.05 each.

I got my brass direct from Dakota about 3 yrs ago in a 100 piece lot for very close to $2 per case. I would call them and get the current price. IMO, it is very good quality stuff.... made by Hornady to Dakota specs.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.