what do groups mean?

Here's an important factor that I have found applies to every rifle & load I've ever shot...

No matter how good or bad it shoots, or which way it strings or sends a flyer, I can make it worse.

Point being, shoot enough with the same rest and as close to the same hold, cheek pressure, trigger squeeze, hand position, shoulder pressure, & follow through before jumping to conclusions on equipment. It takes very little wrong on the shooters part to mess up what the rifle is trying to do.
Yes Don, I was talking to a friend of mine that is a great bench shooter, position ,grip, follow through, etc. He does not shoot , total free recoil, like some, which was my ? But he said if he accidentially cants the rifle in recoil and it settles in the bag, ON THE X, it does'nt go there. Because it was,not settled into the bag the same. This is 1000 yrd. type shooting w/40 x scope. Form is very important.

Don Ward is on track. Consistency and concentration is everything when it comes to groups.

Here's a basic rule for strings. Horizontal trigger pull. Vertical breathing. If your stringing bullets in one direction either horizontal or vertical your doing your part on one thing and not the other. This is not set in stone but you'll find to shoot a super tight group you have to get mean dog mad on your concentration level. Consistency is the key to all good fundamental shooting skills.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.