What difference does the stock make?

Cheap stocks kick harder! Either by design or materials..They do.
OK felt recoil...

Yep...In a recent conversation with Melvin Forbes ( New Ultra Light Arms ) he pointed out how and why he builds his own carbon fiber/Kevlar stocks for his rifles. The stock weighs 16 oz. But you can drive a truck over it ( has been done...).His extensive experience and research utilizing aerospace engineering data has helped him build a stock that is not only light and strong, but does a better job of recoil dispersion. Thus, the feeling of reduced recoil as opposed tot eh typical plastic factory stock. Accuracy? Ask anyone that owns a Melvin Forbes built rifle...and search the internet. Nothing but positive - even rave reviews. So, he believes in the importance of the best stock he can build.

OK economy stocks? I had a certain brand in .300 RUM that kicked so hard it hurt!
Now I have a 338 LM but it's in a MPA chassis that has all the adjustments for a GOOD fit. It feels better than the .300 RUM did and I'm talking a 180 Gr. vs. a 300 Gr. at about the same speed!

I have a rifle that used to shoot to one point off a bipod and another way different point when shooting off hand or sitting. So I had to decide sight in on the bipod or off hand. And only shoot animals from that position. Not very practical. A laminated stock and some devcon made that issue go away.

Having shot wood stocks "forever", bedding and torquing action screws used to be our only options for repeatability. (Plus money was tight).
The suggestion to try different stocks is a great one. Most guys at the range/club are happy to let you try and discuss pros and cons. If you try the stock only , to me, you don't get the same feel as having the complete setup.The new chassis are solid, adjustable fit (huge!), and I believe make it easier to shoot tighter groups. However I am not inclined to carry a chassis rig hunting - old school I guess? Try different stocks prone, off a pack, off hand and the ones that fit you - give you the edge in the woods. My 2 cents.

Accuracy by definition means the exact same result for the same sequence of actions.

The purpose of the stock is to hold the action, and to avoid interfering with the barrel - hence the popularity of free floating.

A cheap injection moulded stock will not be able to hold the action as rigidly as a laminate. Plastic is soft. Action screws are steel. Steel deforms plastic much easier than laminate. Movement of the action relative to the stock means accuracy is not possible.

Securing a cheap plastic stock in a holding device will not prevent the action moving relative to the stock, so cannot give you accuracy.

The stock makes all the difference to absolute accuracy.
I certainly agree with the above statement , however the correct height of the comb and length of pull also add to this equation. The best looking stock in the world IMHO if it is not (correctly) fitted , pillar blocked, with the action glass bedded and barrel free floated all contribute toward enhancing the accuracy of a rifle. Notice that I used the word "correct" ,as a poor job on any of the above can degregate any rifles accuracy ! Plastic stocks can also benefit from pillar bedding the action screw location s using metal 2 piece bushings and can reinforced by laying down a bed of glass bedding in all those small voids (used in weight reduction) located on the inside of the fore-stock. This will indeed strengthen said fiber glass stock.
( Just points to ponder on )

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.