What custom barrel for 338 lapua

leadpillproductions

Looking to put a custom barrel on my sako m995 338 lapua it has a 24 inch barrel , i shoot 225 grain ttsx's loaded with 92 gr rl 25 215m primmers 3012 fps . What do you guys think i should go with im thinking of a 26 inch barrel in a pac-nor , but i like the idea of a carbon fiber one.

I would say if you want to stay with the 225's and use the rifle as a walk around 26" will do you well.There are lots of great barrel makers around so take your pick, pac-nor are one of them,i have a Lilja on my 338 and can't be happier.good luck.

any of the good barrel makers are just that, good. as a side note, you might try a quicker powder for the 225's. rl25 is a tad too slow in my opinion. it'll work well with the 300's and even the 250's but a quicker powder is needed when you go any lighter. that's been my experience with my 2 edge guns.

The Pac Nor super match barrels are good barrels but I would probably lean toward a Lilja, Krieger or Hart simply because I use so many of these barrels and they always come through with flying colors. I probably use Lilja barrels on 80% of my 338 caliber rifles for customers and simply put, they all shoot and shoot **** well if installed correctly.

It really comes down to installation, have it put on right and any barrel from the top barrel makers will give you what you want.

I prefer the 225 gr Accubond over the TTSX just because it seems to have more reliable terminal performance over a wider range of impact velocity then the barnes bullets. That said, if the rifle like the barnes, by all means.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.