What could I build

Ksmirk

Folks I'm not familiar with the Howa action but I have been offered a Howa in 7mm Mag for a pretty good price and was wondering what kind of cannon could I build on this action and are they pretty fair actions? funny when I'm looking for a standard action mags pop up, I look for a short action and I can't beat off the long actions dang it. I was thinking something in a 338 caliber to throw heavy high BC bullets but don't know HOW big I could go. See if you can help out a short action guy here. Thanks,

Kirk

Howa actions are actualy very strong and pretty well desgined , their bolt is very solid and comes with a M-16 style extractor , they have a flat bottom with intrigal recoil lug. The desgine of the Howa will haned anything that the Rem 700 can and probably a little bit more , the trouble may come when you try to get longer rounds to fit in the mag. Their are way around everything so either having a new mag box made or lengthening yours can be done but is it worth the cost?

I wouyld say that a 300 RUM should be doable without a whole lot of fuss but it may require the bulletys to be seated a little more deeply than one world like.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.