What contour??

emmagator

Looking to get a Wild Dog Stock for my tikka t3 270wsm. They have a varmint stock that fits a heavy straight taper 1.25" barrel or a factory varmint barrel profile. I will use this rifle for big game hunting, is 1.25" pretty big/heavy, what is factory varmint contour? what about 1.25" fluted, this is all new to me, im still learning.:)

Roedale Precision WebShop - WD Varmint-Schaft Standard SA-V1

Roedale Precision WebShop - WD Varmint-Schaft Custom-Lauf SA-VH1

1.125" is the shank size and is typical. The weight will depend on the taper and length of the barrel. A typical varmint barrel will crown around .800". You can go on line and look at some of the barrel maker options which will give you dimensions and weight. If you go on Lilja Barrels site, it will give you some factory options as well as custom Lilja options. You can use this to make a weight comparison to your rifle. I personally prefer a minimum of a 5 contour for long range shooting and heavier if the barrel is longer than 26". It just depends on how much you want to pack around? Fluting will reduce the weight somewhat; maybe 1/2 to 3/4 lb. depending on length and manufacturer. I strongly suggest that you look at a few manufacturers such as Lilja, Krieger, Hart, Bartlein, and several others and get some ideas. When you get more familiar with what they have, give them a call. They are usually very helpful in pointing you in the right direction....Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.