What constitutes a cold bore shot ?

minkman1

folks... what constitutes a cold bore shot ?

I have noticed a big difference on accuracy from when I take the 1st shot from my rifle ( just out of gun case ) compared with the 5th or 6th shot in a row.

1....what do you guys constitute a cold bore shot ?

2... how many shots will you take before you think barrel is warm enough to effect accuracy ?

3... how long of TIME do you take after shooting to get barrel to cool down to qualify as a cold bore shot ?

marty

In my opinion, there is two different cold bore shots. There is the clean cold bore, and the dirty barrel cold bore (rifle out of the truck, unfired, with fouled barrel from your last hunting trip or range). Both will produce different results. You have to chose which one you want to use.

At the very least know what your rifle does with a clean cold bore and a dirty cold bore, compared to the rest of your shots. As far as how many shots before the barrel gets hot, well that depends on the caliber and the barrel thickness. Thinner barrels get hotter than heavy ones and like wise larger calibers with high volumes of powder get hotter than say a .223. If you are shooting and you touch your barrel and it is to hot to hold onto then you got it too hot.. Best advice I can give you is take your time between shot and don't get in a hurry. The cooler you can keep your barrel the longer it will last and the better it will shoot for you..

so lets say a ar15 in 223 cal. 10 shots in a row and then you should let it set for 5 minutes and that would constitute a cold foul bore again ?

would you say this would be the same for a savage 308 bolt gun with thick barrel ?

thanks. Marty

Well from my experience ever gun is different as you most likely know that already to.
But here I go.
For example my Rem 7mm my FAV gun.. if I do 3 to 5 shots groups it stays accurate as long as it cools down or even gets cold. But if I clean it!!! look out here come the flyers. I will not be on target next time I go to the range till at least 2 or 3 shots are put through it some guns like DIRTY BARRELS even if there cold...
I have talked to many shooters that have to shoot as many as 10 rounds through their guns most about 3 to 4 before they get back on target After Cleaning.
My 243 Rem model 7 is great cold and clean starts to get flyers if it gets to hot.
My 300 Rem Win Mag needs around only 1 or 2 shots after cleaning to get back on target.
I am shooting all match reloaded rounds and I even noticed that velocities are different after cleaning they are always slower the first few shots after cleaning till that barrel gets dirty and warms up again.

I shoot alot before season but when I know its going to be my last time at the range I will not clean my gun till after season is over and I only shoot 3 or 4 shots that last day at the range just to dirty her up again

So with this in mind know your gun.

Hope this helps you out.gun)

so lets say a ar15 in 223 cal. 10 shots in a row and then you should let it set for 5 minutes and that would constitute a cold foul bore again ?

would you say this would be the same for a savage 308 bolt gun with thick barrel ?

thanks. Marty
I would say if you let it get stone cold as if you were carrying it in the field, that would be a cold bore in both your AR and Bolt gun. Nice choice of rifle by the way. I'm a bit of a Savage fan.

folks... What constitutes a cold bore shot ?

I have noticed a big difference on accuracy from when i take the 1st shot from my rifle ( just out of gun case ) compared with the 5th or 6th shot in a row.

1....what do you guys constitute a cold bore shot ?

for me only: I'm lucky i guess as each of my lr rifles put the clean cold bore shot in the group. I always fire one fouler after cleaning and before the hunt. Why? Cause kirby says. . .
During hunting season cold bore means days between shots. During summer cold bore is the first shot of the session.

2... How many shots will you take before you think barrel is warm enough to effect accuracy ?

barrel temp should not affect accuracy. If it does, you had best know your gun.

3... How long of time do you take after shooting to get barrel to cool down to qualify as a cold bore shot ?for me it's at least the next day.

marty

Sorry for not answering questions 2 and 3. I generally get about 10 to fifteen shots over about a 10 minute period when doing a range session. As far as letting it cool down. Depends on how much time I have or people to talk to at the range!:cool: Once it cools past the chamber area, I will begin a slow fire session of usually about 5 shots.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.