What color targets?

cornstalker

I scooped up a steal deal, (pun intended), on some AR500. Had it plasma cut into targets. I was just wondering what color to paint them.

Is there benefits to white versus orange? Glare issues at long range? What color works best in bright sunlight and with cloud cover?

What color do you use for the aiming point? What size and shape aiming point?

Pix of your targets would be cool too.

Thanks in advance.

We have a 12"x24" piece that we paint orange with a white bullseye. It shows up rather well at any distance. We initially painted it white with an orange bull. I like the reverse better. The best paint that we found that works well is the ground marking paint. It is very vivid on the steel and goes on really well. The bull is usually MOA or smaller. We found that painting around the bottom of a large can works well. That is about a 6" bull.

Tank

We have also tried both, and for white shows up a whole lot better. we paint a 3" orange circle in the middle.

we cut out the center of a paper plate, using a cup, draw a cirlce around it and cut it out. then throw the plate in our paint bag.

a plate usually lasts atleas a few trips and because it bends it makes painting the circle less messy.

either will work, but at the really long ranges, we could not see the hits on the orange.

now, with the plate white first, then the orange cirlcle in the middle, we can see the hits in the orange? so maybe if you wanted orange, paint it white first?

we shot a mile a month or so ago, and had two plates up, one white, the other orange. We could see the hits with our spotting scope on the white. We thought we were missing the orange until we drove up to the target. it was straight orange with nothing underneath.

I paint mine white then yellow in snow conditions. I use a orange dot on white and black on yellow. Size varies to distance but try to keep it in MOA
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.