What can you hit on demand???

Speedbump said:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> Anybody wanna go double or nothin' from a sling only instead of a bipod?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Against you! Do I look like I just fell off a turnip wagon?
smile.gif

If I hit the 12" target with the first round at 800 yards will I earn the $1000.00?
grin.gif
grin.gif

I belive I could hit a 12" target at 700 yards from a cold bore. PROVIDED it was not -10 out there. I am 100% sure I can hit that at 800 yards 90+% of the time on a first round.

In a situation with 10 MPH winds or under with a bi-pod, and my day pack under the rear, using my most trusted rifle and load, I would attemt that with $1000 USD on the line. I am not trying to be arrogant or cocky here. I spend a great deal of my time doing just that. Often times I go out with a 10" target, set up at 300 yards and fire once. Set up at 400 yards and fire once. all the way out to 1K. When I can no longer hit my 10" target, thats where I draw the line for my big game hunting range. I am not talking about my test loads or experamental stuff. I do alot of that and dont always hit the mark. I am talking about my best and most trusted load.

The rifle in question is a 13# 308 w/24" tube and 11.25 of twist. Scope is a mark4 10X. I know this rifle better than my own dear wife.

Well I guess I'll chime in now.
grin.gif
.I have made a number of first round hits on ground hogs out to 850 yards from a tripod.So I think 750 with a bi-pod and rear bag should be doable
wink.gif
Bi-Pod gun is a 28" barreled 11 twist 300wsm(My 16.5 pound Match gun) in a Sendero stock shooting 210gr Jlk's 2812fps.

I guess standing up on your hind legs isn't an option then? Oh well...first I have to buy a bipod to qualify. W/O that and prone, no rest, 300 yds or so. It's only a Bob, 85 Ballistic Tips. Now if you want to drop the wages of sin a bit I might try to stretch that.
grin.gif

Ben times a guy would be better off payin the$1000
tongue.gif
.If I could find prairie dogs that where 12" round I'd have a better idea(not much for paper)That and they usualy will give you a second shot(1st shot is usualy a spotter)
Gona have to work on 1st shot hits this year instead of pullin the trigger cause I dobt I could go past 400 with the first shot
frown.gif

I would feel pretty confident at 600yds with my 14# Mike Bryant built Rem 700 PSS 300 RUM with a Kreiger 28" barreled tipped with a Vais brake shooting a 190 SMK pushed by 82grs of H4821 at 3125fps while looking thru a NF NXS 8x32 with Badger rings on a Badger rail.
Wayne

To me, 'hunting' means carrying a rifle more than shooting it. Not sitting in a camo recliner with a martini in one hand, a rangefinder in the other, with some pretty in pink BR 'gun' in a rest.

That said, I can split chucks at 500 with a 10lb rifle.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>To me, 'hunting' means carrying a rifle more than shooting it. Not sitting in a camo recliner with a martini in one hand, a rangefinder in the other, with some pretty in pink BR 'gun' in a rest. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Good for you....
rolleyes.gif

I would say 600yds but only because I can't afford to lose the $1000.00.
I like to shoot 7 2-inch circles at 200 yds spread across the range as fast as I can. Also 5 golf balls scattered around at 100yds as fast as possible. I use a PGW timberwolf338 and my friend uses a PGW LRT-3 .50BMG. We can each hit all the circles in about 45 secs. All the golfballs in about 35. It is hard to shoot the .50BMG (single-shot) for speed.

In 5mph wind.... 700yds without a thought.
In 10mph wind... would have to think about 600yards.

This is where you all can start laughing.
(till ya see it)

Rem vs 22-250 50 gr vmax@3800fps with bushnell 4x16x50

Ian
I will have to talk Darcy into taking me out with you guy's Next time you are out this way. Hopefully I will have my 22-284 shooting by then. I have just set up a few steel plates.One as far as 1100 yards.(it's only 7x8 inch though..lol)

Opps. should specify that is shot off a bi-pod and rear bag.
Gun weighs about 13lbs(I think)

[ 03-08-2004: Message edited by: Crazycooydog ]

[ 03-08-2004: Message edited by: Crazycooydog ]

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.