What caliber if not 338 Lapua?

WEATHERBY460

I have a 338 Lapua, and a 308 Winchester long range gun. I am looking for another long range gun, but not sure which caliber to go with. Any ideas? I don't wany any weird odd ball calibers. I am thinking a 7mm or 300 win mag or ultra mag...please give me some ideas. thanks

Take the barrel off that 460 you want to sell and send it to Krieger. Tell them to duplicate the contour in a 30 caliber 9.5" twist. Then chamber it for a 300 Norma Magnum and shoot 230 gr bullets.

I have a 338 Lapua, and a 308 Winchester long range gun. I am looking for another long range gun, but not sure which caliber to go with. Any ideas? I don't wany any weird odd ball calibers. I am thinking a 7mm or 300 win mag or ultra mag...please give me some ideas. thanks

You should consider both the 7LRM or 7Dakota and how about the new 338 Blaser? gun)

7mm RemMag or 7mm STW would both be great calibers.

If you want slightly better barrel life, but still a great performing round, go with the 7mm RemMag. But if you want a little more horsepower, and to proficiently shoot the heavies (175 grain & up) go with the 7mm STW.

By weird or odd ball, I understand that to mean you want to be able to buy loaded ammo not have to hand load.

Using that:
300 Ultra. This chambering is quite capable of taking game at 1000 if you find factory loads it really likes. If you want to hand load, I'm sure you can find a load that will put over 1000flb of energy on target at 1 mile.

7MM. While lots if the guys recomment the STW, there are 65 different factory loads available for 7mmRM at Midway including a long range target load. That said, if it were me I'd go 7 Ultra or 7 WSM. Just me. Actually I have a couple .284 Wins and one of those will become a 7mm/26 Nosler.

By weird or odd ball, I understand that to mean you want to be able to buy loaded ammo not have to hand load.

Using that:
300 Ultra. This chambering is quite capable of taking game at 1000 if you find factory loads it really likes. If you want to hand load, I'm sure you can find a load that will put over 1000flb of energy on target at 1 mile.

7MM. While lots if the guys recomment the STW, there are 65 different factory loads available for 7mmRM at Midway including a long range target load. That said, if it were me I'd go 7 Ultra or 7 WSM. Just me. Actually I have a couple .284 Wins and one of those will become a 7mm/26 Nosler.
Side by side, the 7mm STW and 7 Ultra are pretty much equal ballistically. But the 7RUM uses about 10-15 more grains of powder to equal the same velocities as the STW. 7RUM barrel life is significantly less than the 7mm STW. Not to mention, have you tried looking for any 7RUM brass lately? I have a buddy who took apart a virtually new CDL 7RUM to build a 7mm STW, mainly because he couldn't find brass or factory ammo for the RUM anywhere.

The 7 rum and the 7stw are not ballistically equal! Barrel life is less but that is because the RUM runs more powder and more performance.

Yup, that's like saying the 7stw and 7mag are virtually the same ballistically. As far as not being able to find brass goes, you can always just neck down 300 RUM brass...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.