What caliber for Accuracy international long action stock project?

jp67

Hi Guys,
I have an AICS stock and a Stiller Tac300 long action with a .308 bolt sitting in my safe.
I can't decide on what caliber to choose.

This project started around the 284 winchester with a 175 sierra bullet.
In the mean time, I bought an AIAW in .260 Rem.

Now i wonder if the .284 winch is a real advantage over the .260?
If not maybe i should move to a different caliber.

Secondly, I was thinking about one of the 300 or 338 with a magnum bolt on the same platform (AICS LA and Stiller Tac300) that will allow me to reach longer distance (1500 meters).
Caliber choice is difficult because i want to use the AICS mag.
Max oal is 3,6"
Thanks for your help
jp

Last edited:
Re: What caliber for AICS LA project?

I would think seriously about the 284 or a 284 wildcat. I have heard a lot of people pushing the 180gr 7mm to at least 2850-2900 with the 284. I think that a 300 win mag could not beat this by much with a 180 gr bullet. I know the 300 may have a slightly higher muzzle velocity but, the 7mm will out run it downrange. You should be able to use a ballistics calculator to see the difference in the 260 and 284. The best I can remember, in a full value 10 mph crosswind the 7mm 180 has about 7-10 inches less drift than a 6.5 140gr at the same velocity.

Hi Guys,
I have an AICS and Stiller Tac300 long action with a .308 bolt sitting in my safe.
I can't decide on what caliber to choose.

This project started around the 284 winchester with a 175 sierra bullet.
In the mean time, I bought an AIAW in .260 Rem.

Now i wonder if the .284 winch is a real advantage over the .260?
If not maybe i should move to a different caliber.

Secondly, I was thinking about one of the 300 or 338 with a magnum bolt on the same platform (AICS LA and Stiller Tac300) that will allow me to reach longer distance (1500 meters).
Caliber choice is difficult because i want to use the AICS mag.
Max oal is 3,6"
Thanks for your help
jp

First, do you want to reach to 1,500 yards for target, steel, or varmints or do you want to be able to drop game at 1,500 yards?

For me, that is two entirely different questions.

Actually, distance is 1600 meters.
For steel targets at first and game later on.
I was thinking about 2 barrels i could switch.
Thanks

Last edited:

For steel targets at first and game later on.
I was thinking about 2 barrels i could swap.
Thanks

I don't have my data in front of me, but the 284 Win, 7mm WSM, and 7mm Dakota are fine rounds, depending what you want to accomplish with them. With a 1-9 twist barrel I would have it throated for a compromise of the 175-180 grain VLD's, if 1500 meters is your goal.
If I didn't go with a 7mm, I would jump to the 338. 330 Dakota, 338 Edge, 338 AX.
Since I do not know the OAl length of these cartridges, I am not sure they would work, but you could always put a single-shot follower in though.

With a switch barrel you could have a 7mm and a 338. You may have to get a extra bolt, but that is not a big deal in the big picture.

Myself, I have not looked into what impact velocities would need to be for reliable performance @ 1500 meters on game. At least not yet anyway:D

FWIW-I have owned and or shot @ LR the 260 Rem, 6.5-284, 284 Win, 7WSM, and the 7mm Dakota in field conditions.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.