What Caliber for a 10lb rifle

284stak

I am wanting to build a new rifle 10lb or less that I can shoot comfortably without a brake. I have shot a 325WSM that was 8 lbs and a 300RUM that was 9.5 lbs --- both had too much recoil to shoot for extended times at the range. Intended game would be deer/elk out to 800 yds. What caliber should I consider assuming I do not want a belted cartridge. I was considering the 7WSM and 300WSM - any others out there I should look at?

First, I wouldn't have a problem with either of these two rounds on DEER if you:

1) use a very high BC bullet that will retain lots of velocity at extended ranges Enough, hopefully, to give your bullet a chance to expand. I use burger 210 vld in a 300 wby. Also, anything more than a 1-11 twist might not get you stabileized properly(IN A 30 CAL...1-10 IN 7MM). A 26-30 " bbL wouldn't hurt, either.

2) PRACTICE.........PRACTICE..........PRACTICE...............PRACTICE........... 600 YARDS .......700 YARDS..............800 YARDS............ECT......

3) RANGEFINDER AND CORRECT DIAL-UPS (UNLESS YOU HAVE ANOTHER RELIALBLE SYSTEM) IS A MUST.

For LONG RANGE elk................GO BIG...........OR GO HOME

BIG 30 CAL MINNIMUM......I WOULD GO FOR A BIG .338. THE SMALLEST I WOULD GO WOULD BE AN EDGE OR A LAPUA..........WITH HIGH BC BULLETS. ELK ARE 3 TIMES BIGGER, AND SOME SAY 3X TOUGHER, THAN DEER!!! If you need a brake to shoot it , then get some ear plugs, or cowboy up and take the ride.

This is just my opinion, based on long range deer hunting....I have never tried Elk at long range. I am sure that there are lots of storys of 800 yard kills on elk with a 22-250 or 30-30, but I don't care to here them.

If recoil is not an issue then the 338 Lapua would be a very good choice or maybe even the Improved version of the case I have both. This is strictly a handloading proposition as the factory 338 Lapua ammo is fugly on cost....

It doesen't matter what the case is shaped like wether belted or not , if your going to drive a big enought bullet fast enought to make for a "good" 800yd elk rifle then its gonna kick especialy in a 10lb gun. That said if your willing to pick your shots and have to pass on shots that are less than perfect then the 280 Ackley will do that job with good bullets but you can't expect to shoot an El;k through the front shoulders and have the same effect that a 338Lapua will. The 300WSM with a 180gr bullet in the 3000fps mark will do it also but here again your going to generate recoil. The 7mm bullets have higher BC's and those are gonna carry energy to long range better than a lower BC bullet , so a hot 7mm would be a good choice but hell even a 7mm Rem mag in a 10 lb gun isin't a pleasure to shoot alot.

Why no brake? if your making one shot on game then you can probaly even get by with just plugging your left ear (if right handed) then you can step up alot in caliber , to a hot 30 or 338.

10 lb rifle

get a 300 or 7mm mag you choose . i like the ones that have either lapua or nosler brass available. get a brake. get a krieger or other good barrel . adjust the trigger. get a brake. carry the little puffs in yer pocket that cost 50 cents a pair put them in when you go to shoot. roninflag

Secret will be the stock vs caliber IMO.

Glass has less "felt" recoil due to the stock flex, which gives a different recoil pulse. Plus a bigger butt with one of the new recoil reducing pads would be the way to go. However, I would go with 300 WSM too.

BH

Thanks for the input thus far. Stock will be the manners thumbhole at near lightest wt. I wear plugs for all my shooting and longe-range hunting; however, opportunities sometimes arise when hunting the mountains and even the high deserts where a hasty shot is called for --- it is for that reason I am avoiding a break. I already have a 15lb 7mm-330Dakota for long-range hunting, but am looking for a 2nd rifle in the 10lb range, and no this rifle has minimal recoil - but is fairly heavy to carry all day and I end up packing quite often. May end up going with the above cartridge since I already have the reamer and dies, but checking what others thought.

You would still normally need a second set of dies unless you "luck" out and the two chambers just happen to be really close.

Otherwise you end up resetting the FL size die or shimming it for one gun. same thing for the seater.

I would not let what dies I have on hand drive my choice.

Good dies are cheap and the hassle many times will not be worth it.

BH

Shoot a 300WM with 180gr NAB for an 800 yard Elk rifle......or what I am building is a 270WSM with 140gr NAB.....should end up in the 6-7lb fully dressed....Tally rings, Manners UL stock, same dimensions as the T stock but very light. And a Leupold Ultralight 3-9 with a BDC turret. I am limiting my self to a 500 yard shot with the 270WSM, most think it is too small of a cartridge but it is a better round than the 270 WIn which has been used for ELk for decades and the NAB is an awesome bullet. I will pack the 270WSM in the X1 Eberlestock and leave the 15-18lb 300WM in the truck for the really long shot.....however if you are looking at an Elk at 500 yards....you are looking a long ways away. I am not breaking the 270WSM because like you I want to have the ability for a POP shot in brush....but the 7mm RM would be a great round for maybe even a 700 yard range shot with a quality bullet.....hell the 7mm-08 would be fine for up to 400 yards on Elk with a quality bullet.....and it is a dog compared to the 7mmRM.

Just my own opinions......

Here is my new build,, which Nate 308 has graciously decided to take on.. Rem 700 LTR in 300 saum,, rechamber to 300 wsm .. accurize..flute bolt,,keep trigger and barrell.. will probably rebarrell to 7 wsm later,, Mike Rock varmint most likely,, any way add Nates extreme v port break,G Kote all metal, sell stock add Bell and Carlson varmint tactical and bed, really like the Manners MCs-t and t2 but that money is going for optics....Tsp base and rings and if I can find one like NV wolfers that I missed @##$%@##$ a S&B PMII.If not either a NF....heavy or Leupy MRk 4 to save weight...I am estimating total weight to be right at ten lbs with optics. I do not reload, but believe I will have a solid 800yd rig with the Win xp3 in 180grn..Most likely 600yds.. though due to short 20 inch barrell.. we shall see..

This is just my opinion, based on long range deer hunting....I have never tried Elk at long range. I am sure that there are lots of storys of 800 yard kills on elk with a 22-250 or 30-30, but I don't care to here them.

I want to hear about an elk that was taken with a .30-30 at 800 yards!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.