What caliber & bullet for long range

JDY

What are some of the calibers and bullets do most of you guys use for longe range hunting? Out to maybe 900/1000 yards on deer, anetlope and elk.
JDY

338 Edge 300 SMK @ 2820 fps
7 RUM 180 Berger @ 3240 fps
300 RUM 210 Berger @ 3080 fps
338 AM 300 SMK @ 3310 fps !!!!!

These are all proven performers at 1K +. There several others like the 7 AM, 338 - 378 WBY IMP, etc that are good rounds, but I don't run any of them.

in the factory rifles,savage makes a 110fp in 300wsm,and i'm not sure about 300wm anymore.remington makes the sendero,and i'm sure others make rifles capable of 1000 yard hunting at prices that wont break the bank.in my opinion the 7mm rem mag is the lightest i would go to shoot that far.and heavy per caliber match boattail bullets like sierra matchking,berger,hornady amax ,nosler accubond.there are custom bullets avalible too,just search this site.heavy high bc bullets will retain energy levels to those distances.it only gets better the bigger the caliber you go.the 300wm with 200-210 grain match bullets work well for me(208 amax in savage 110fp)then there is the 7wsm,7stw,7rum,300 weatherby,300rum and the 338rum,340weatherby.these too can be had in factory rifles,but maybe without a heavy contour barrell that i would be looking for.if money is no object, a custom built rig is the way to go.the sky is the limit,lots of 338 wildcats that shoot the 300 gr smk at tremendous speeds/energy.my.my.02 cents,jason

You mentioned elk. You need to get an elk rifle which is a big 338. All the above mentioned are really good ones. An old timer I talked to several times at the shot show about long range elk talked me into the 340 wby many years ago. Then he improved the 338-378. He was from Montana and spent his lifetime hunting the west and writing about it. So have I. He had a good book called "Hell, I Was There". People who have seen hundreds of animals downed know what their talking about. The smaller calibers will kill them with a well placed shot, but why limit yourself. If you want a long range elk rifle then get the best. Your shot in the field at long range may not be just perfect. I will always go deer hunting with an elk rifle, but you will never see me elk hunting with a deer rifle. Always remember that.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.