What bullets will my 1-10" 6mm Ackley stabilize?

Send me a PM with your address.

I will put you together a package of bullets early next week. Mostly, I have a lot of 85 grain hunting bullets for the little poodle sized whitetails I used to shoot at short range. I have some 95 SSTs and 100gr Speers. As I said, I bet the 70 grain flat base SMK will make little bugholes for you but their BC is low. Put a dumptruck of powder behind the 70SMKs and they will really smoke a target out to 500 yards.

I have some 105 SMKs. Be careful with the 105 SMKs because their jacket is tough and the bearing surface is long and pressure will go up in a hurry. I would recommend that you just test one bullet in single powder increments of about 0.3 grains and as you get toward the top if they are still unstable throw them away. Jam them into the lands at first and then if they work, back them away from the lands and increase the powder just a smidgen. Remember a marginally stable bullet may go unstable as the range increases. I do not know how much knowledge you have of reloading and am sorry I can not be there to help you interpret each case as it comes out of the chamber. Wear glasses because this stuff is dangerous.

The rifle will only shoot what it likes and not what you like. I only shoot 115 Bergers because that is what my rifle likes. I wanted to shoot the DTACs but the rifle said "No". That is just the way it goes.

I do not have any 105 Amax's. Bill Bailey and Lerch, whom I trust, say they will stabilize.

People (including me) will say that their 6-284, 6-06, etc., is faster than your rifle. The way to shut them up is to kill stuff at long range. Doesn't matter how fast it is, just how far you can make a kill at. In this game, skill is everything. Practice builds skill.

I will admit I am not extremely knowledgable in reloading, just started last September, but I know what I'm looking for. I'll post some pics of groups and cases when I've shot some. What powder do you use? I have used RL-22 in my 7mm RM, it should work well, and I hope accuracy is there.

RL 22 is what I use in my 240 Wby behind the 115 Berger and so does Joel Russo who built my stock. For lighter bullets maybe a faster powder but I don't know for sure.

I don't know much about the 6mm AI other than a reputation for accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts