What Bullet for 7mm RUM?

sharpshooterbr

I was wanting your guys opinions on what the best bullet is for the 7mm RUM. I am currently loading the Nosler Ballistic Silvertip, but it's not near as tough a bullet as what this gun and velocity requires. I will be using this gun mostly here in Missouri on big whitetail bucks from point blank range to long range. So I need a bullet that can handle all the applications. I was looking at the Nosler Accubond, Barnes Triple-Shock or the Berger VLD. How have you guys gotten along with the Barnes? It looks like a good bullet, but don't know how it will perform at high velocity. Any suggestions you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The Barnes have worked best for me at the higher velocities. I have shot deer and hogs with impact velocities of 3450+fps with no failures or lost animals yet. This past season, I shot a buck at about 80 yards with my 300 RSAUM 140 gr Barnes XBT at 3220fps. It took out two ribs going in, one shoulder blade and three ribs going out. They are the main bullet I use for my regular hunting ranges. When I have to reach out, I am shooting 175 gr SMKs in the same caliber.

For your use, are you going to be taking shots under 2-300 yards or out further? Inside of 3-350 yards, the TSXs should work out just fine. If you want to reach out a little further, you may want to try 175 SMKs, 180 gr Berger VLDs, 180 gr JLKs or any of the Wildcat offerings in the same weight class.

Around here, my average shot is normally 200-250. I have, however, had shots as close as 10 yards, and shots as far as 800. I am looking for a bullet that will perform well in all situations. I like the SMK's for long-range, but I feel that the construction isn't tough enough at close range for reliable performance. The only downside I see with the TSX is the BC. It is something like .400 for a 160gr bullet, if memory serves me right. Not bad for short range, but a long range bullet it is not. To answer your question, I typically will try to take a shoulder shot on the bucks around here, especially when the range gets stretchy. So a bullet that will take this abuse is needed. Let me know what you guys think.

+2 on the Accubond if you want a commercially available bullet.

On the other hand, using either the 169.5 or 175 gr Wildcat bullets, you would be fine as Richard can make the bullets with various jacket thicknesses. He can also get you some bonded bullets; however, you would give up some bc to get those.

Accubonds may just be the best compromise for your situation.

Ok, it sounds like Accubond's are the bullet of choice. My next question is, how close of a load will it be from the Ballistic Silvertip I'm currently loading to the Accubond? Will I be able to use the same load, or will I need to back off the load a little?

Just curious, but has anyone ever tried loading the Berger VLD's where they will still fit in a standard Remington magazine? I know Walt says to either touch them or bury them .010" in the lands, but didn't know how accuracy would be seated farther in. I know by doing this it will take up a little more case capacity, but the OAL of the 168gr berger is just barely longer than the Accubond. Let me know.

Try 94 gr. H-Retumbo w/ the 168 bergers or 89 gr. H-Retumbo with the 180 bergers. My sendero prefers the 180's over the 168's but both shoot under 3/4 MOA at 600 yrds, as long as i don't have to dope for much wind. I seated mine to 3.65 and they do fit in the magazine.

andy

I might just have to give the Bergers if they shoot that good in your gun. Have you ever shot these bullets at anything a short range, less than about 200? How's they do? Thanks

I have very good luck with 162 grain Amax's sitting on top of 85 grain of RL 22. Not the fastest load in the world but shoots very well. I have had good clean kills from 46 yards to 480 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.