What bipod do you like for a heavy gun?

bh5k

I just got my custom rifle from the gunsmith and I am wondering what bipod people like? The gun is about 17 lbs and is a .300 RUM with a McMillan A-5 stock.

Thanks,

B.

My gun is not that heavy, but I run an Atlas on a rail w/ quick release and love it, order takes some lead time

I've used nothing but Harris S series for alot of years now. I tried some other brands in the same price range and was not impressed at the stability at all. Sure, some offer more movement on different axis, but not nearly as "heavy duty" or steady feeling as the Harris.

I know nothing of the one that sp6X6 mentioned, that isn't one that I tried.

I've used nothing but Harris S series for alot of years now. I tried some other brands in the same price range and was not impressed at the stability at all. Sure, some offer more movement on different axis, but not nearly as "heavy duty" or steady feeling as the Harris.

I know nothing of the one that sp6X6 mentioned, that isn't one that I tried.

Interesting SBruce. I have a Harris on a different rifle and was thinking of getting the same one again, I honestly just wasn't sure if they were still in business. Did Caldwell buy them? The Caldwell bipod looks very similar to the Harris.

I will have to check out the Atlas system.

I have both the Harris and the Caldwell tilting bipods, while they do look very similar, there are some differences. The main one being a Harris the release shortens the legs, but the Caldwell legs open when pushing the button. Also the Caldwell has notches in the legs so it is easier to set them at a certain length. The Caldwell has one spring, it only works when it is completely compressed, so adjustments are made using both hands. I personally haven't decided which one I like the best, I think the Harris are probably a little better built.

Harris has leg notch models also, the Atlas is a step up on these, but so is the price, it is more adjustable, can get quick release and 10.5 oz. Has cant and swivel, with tension adjustment, claw feet if you want them, leg notch.

RCBS IS NOW MAKING A HEAVY DUTY BIPOD.Rail mounted, ssaw it in Precision reloading

Interesting, I will have to check out the RCBS system. For those using the Harris, are you just using the S series 25C?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.