What base to get?

BThomsen

I am wondering what kind of base to get. I have a Remington 700 long range chambered in .300 win mag and a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP with vortex rings. This will mainly be used for elk out west but it could see some use in MN for whitetail with shorter distances. I've been told conflicting information that I should get a 20 moa base or a 0 moa base. The brand I was looking at was Badger Ordinance. This is my first time posting here and any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am wondering what kind of base to get. I have a Remington 700 long range chambered in .300 win mag and a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP with vortex rings. This will mainly be used for elk out west but it could see some use in MN for whitetail with shorter distances. I've been told conflicting information that I should get a 20 moa base or a 0 moa base. The brand I was looking at was Badger Ordinance. This is my first time posting here and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

IIWY, I'd definitely get the 20 MOA canted base. It is better to have it and not needed, besides, this is LRH. :):Dgun)

This is one of the best advice from an optics SME ...

Even though the scope adjustment range may be large enough to get to 1,000 yds, you should use a 20 moa base. That's because off-axis optical aberrations that degrade resolution increase with incidence angle. You should set up your rifle so that the incidence angle is minimized for long distance shots (where resolution matters most).

Assume the base is within +/-10 moa of alignment with the rifle bore. Let's also assume your bullet drops no more than 30 moa at 1,000 yds, and you like to zero your rifle at 100 yds. With a standard base, you would need up to -40 moa of adjustment to get to 1,000 yds. That means you need a total 80 moa of adjustment.

With a 20 moa base you would need up to -20 moa to get to 1,000 yds, but up to 26 moa to get to a 100 yd zero (worse case boresight alignment in each case). That means you need a total 52 moa of adjustment. With a 20 moa base, however, the incidence angle at 1,000 yds is 20 moa less, so the image will have less blur.

You'll get varying recommendations on which name brand base to get. Your choice will definitely work. I have been very please with the EGW HD and non-HD rails. Regardless of which one you go with, you might consider bedding it.

[ame]https://youtu.be/d6RopWI0-GE?t=3[/ame]

Good luck!

Ed

Ive been using EGW rails of 10 or 20 MOA ( depending on the rifle) ans then Leupold QD rings that I can flip the levers down on and pull the scope free of the rifle

BTW....I installed a 20MOA rail on my Win 70 (200 Win Mag) and couldnt even get close to getting down enough. Had to remove it and go to a 0 MOA rail on the Mod 70.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.