What barrel length with a suppressor

jmason

I've ordered a suppressor (now waiting for BATFE). The suppressor is 8.5" long and weights 26 oz. How long of a barrel should I get?

I know some of you guys have these and I was curious what length barrels your using and if would change anything?

Barrel diameter and twist is more important, providing it's going on a .30 cal and larger. If a .224 cal the barrel diameter is not quite as critical, but twist is. Mainly do to shooting both supersonic and subsonic ammunition.
In .30 cal I like Polygonal 1-10 twist barrels 22 inches long; in the .224 cal 20" with a 1-9 twist with a Polygonal works well.
No matter what the barrel needs too be "very" ridged to carry the suppresser weight and maintain shot to shot accuracy from a suppresser barrel weapon. Last the suppresser and barrel fit is critical.

It's going on a 270 WIN and I'll have a smith install for me. Twist is going to be 1:10 and I don't plan on shooting and subsonic ammo. Just trying to see what everyone else is using.:)

Well to tell you the truth, you might be better off to putting on a .30 cal {say 30.06} barrel on you 270 Win. It makes for better barrel options and bullets for suppressed weapons. Not too many companies don't usually want to make baffles for .270 cal, because the baffle design should be dedicated to the caliber used, that's why .30 and .224 are mainly used. Yes you can use; 30 caliber can's on a .270 cal rifle, but don't let any fool you, you do loose the efficiency of the design and concept{s} which make them work, and that's what your paying for!

It will be threaded to the factory barrel for now. I can determine if the efficiency meets my needs this way. Now the original question was??

jmason,
depends on what kind of shooting you do. I liked 22" barrel length. Just got a new 24" 243 and it seems just that bit too long. Danger is that one shoves the end into the mud all the time.
436 is correct with the efficiency of a suppressor made with the right baffle size, but! these suppressors can be finicky bastards. Overall for field use, suppressor on off, hot cold and wet conditions I prefer to have a slightly less efficient suppressor but have the advantage of more reliable accuracy because the clearance in the baffles to bullet has a bit more tolerance. In my opinion a 30 cal suppresor on a 270 is perfect. We just did tests this week with a 270wsm and my 30 cal a-tec modular, very happy.

edi

I just do not like suppressors unless shooting subsonic, that said I usually go 16.5 inches.

I just do not like suppressors unless shooting subsonic, that said I usually go 16.5 inches.

The reason I got it was for hunting at night. Can I load a 270 sub sonic safely? If I can will it still kill the yotes?

The point of the purchase was to be able to shoot w/o hearing protection, and not be of alarm to homes in (normal) earshot of me when I shoot.

When you guys are using the term "efficient" does that refer to how quite it is?

We do a bit of fox lamping, mainly with suppressed 223, 22-250 or swift.
The subs would have just too much drop for unknown distances with a lamp.
Not enough time for fancy ranging when a fox travels.
If subsonic I presume a 308 would be better than the 270 or ?
A mild load in a suppressed 223 is not bad, even at night. The bullet isn't going to travel that far to create too much noise anyway.

"Efficient", yes how quiet.

edi

I'm also a very big fan of subsonic velocity and suppresser; however trying to stay with the question; make the barrel length what ever length you want; if you shooting a .30cal suppressor on a .270 cal rifle Your not going to notice anything if you can't compare the two… and if you really want it a little more quite, put a few "drops" of water {wet can} it, it will help on the first round pop. As for the baffle strikes'…, the main reason for baffle strikes is improperly attached suppresser by the installer working on the OD of the barrel to fit the suppresser; when in fact the OD of the barrel and the "bore line" are not concentric.. The only other reason quality suppressers have strikes is due to a baffle failure, one coming loose.
So….. If it was me; and I was the one buying tax stamp $ for a suppresser to put on my under size caliber rifle just for fun, I "wouldn't" buy a quality suppresser, I'd buy the cheapest one I could find. Once you understand, expansion chamber or "first chamber", vortexing, gas velocity, back pressure and gas shearing effects; along with a few other cause and effects in suppresser, you'll understand why the caliber and fit are so important, it's not a one size fit's all type deal.
So cut your factory barrel anywhere over 16.5 inches it's not going to make any difference.
Sure you can load 270 Win subsonic... if you sure you know how... range for "most" any subsonic round is about 100 to 125 yards with any punch and accuracy.

Last edited:
make the barrel length what ever length you want; if you shooting a .30cal suppressor on a .270 cal rifle Your not going to notice anything you can compare the two… and if you really want it a little more quite, put a few "drops" of water {wet can} it, it will help on the first round pop.

That helps answer my ?'s .. You guys have a way better understanding of these than I do. I doubt I'll do the sub sonic stuff. All I care about (need) from the suppressor is that I can forgo ear protection and not scare the people who live near where I hunt a night. As long as it accomplishes this I'll be a happy camper. I must have missed something cause I don't know where the "baffle strike" issue came from. That should be a non issue as long as the suppressor is installed correctly right?

Well for hunting of Yote's at night it should work just fine. The baffle strike comments were in response to an early post that mentioned it.
The other plus for hunting / shooting a suppresser on large caliber center fires is; little {supersonic} too no {subsonic} recoil, which makes it like watching T.V when you pull the trigger. Yep the proper installation onto the barrel is critical.

I have barrels from 5 inches to 29 that are suppressed. Just thread what every you have and use it. I shoot full power ammo almost exclusively and with a good can it's ear safe and doesn't spook game.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts