What are you using as your 'walkabout' rear rest?

Brown Dog

What are you using as your \'walkabout\' rear rest?

My 'walkabout' pocket-size rear-rest has, for the last couple of years, been 2 short sticks bound with zinc oxide tape (2 pictures shown below) that open out to provide a surprisingly steady rest –using it with my newly acquired AWP groups have varied between 0.19 and 0.62MOA!

Whilst they're good for static targets, they are a little frustrating for quick changes in aim left/right or up/down and –over a series of shots- they tend to dig themselves in spoiling the hold on target

I don't imagine that you're all walking around with sand-filled leather bags.

What are you using as a 'walkabout' rear rest?

Re: What are you using as your \'walkabout\' rear rest?

I use a "sand sock". Receipe: take 1 pair of old pantyhose. Cut off both feet above the ankle. Fill one with polly pellets (small plastic pieces used to fill home made dolls--found in craft stores). Tie it off. Stick it in the other pantyhose foot and tie the second one off. This dual coating allows it to slide around for easy adjustment. Put this in a small sock or take a big sock and sew it up--like it was for a AAAA size foot. Tie off the sock and cut off extra.

This makes a relatively small, light rear rest the does not absorb water. In use, squeeze it with your weak hand. Very fast to reposition and adjust.

Giles

I have always felt guilty about just throwing away a pair of my old panty hose. Dave King isn't as fussy as I am so I usually send mine to him when I am done with them and he gets a couple more months of use out of them. But your idea is good and using it will make me feel better about prematurely jettisoning my old panty hose. Thanks.
smile.gif

Len

I thought we agreed not to discuss where I was getting those things and what I may or may not be doing with them!

I make "sand socks" out of the bottom(s) (foot end) and sell the tops to folks down town for head gear. They're one size fits all and if a fella has a really small head they double as a turtle neck warmer scarf type affair. I also got rid of those extra large pants you've been sending me, the local school kids really took to wearing those things and now it seems a national craze.

The sand socks work well, they're relatively light and won't rot. I'm thinking about making a smaller version by using panties from those Barbie Doll cloths garage sales (can't bring myself to stop just yet, maybe I'll stick a large set over my head and chance it one day).

Ooooh, that really hurts!
smile.gif

Len, Dave -have you chaps got that out of your system now?
smile.gif

What are you using (as a rear rest, not pantyhose!)?

Brown Dog, you actually want a serious answer? Ok.

I use DK's sand sock idea which is to fill one sock with beads or in my case cocoa hulls and then stuff this sock inside of a second one to get a tighter fit. Works well for me.

There is something called the Mulley Pod. It is like a telescoping piece of metal that attaches to your sling. I don't know if I spelled that right though.

When shooting in the field over grass, I use a tall Harris bi-pod up front and sit in a position which will allow the rifle butt to rest on my knee. I use my free hand (between knee & rifle butt) to adjust the butt height for elevation.

It sounds strange but is rather stable once you get use to it. I have shot many mid-range groundhogs using this method and my light-weight .221 rifle.

VH

I just use my fist, grab around the sling and i'm good to go Pete

Pete,

Is that in effect a reverse 'Hawkins'?

I believe a reverse Hawkins would require Pete place the muzzle to his shoulder and the butt downrange.
smile.gif

I watched several Canadian Rangers use the "Aukins'" position while shooting their Enfields. Hand tight on the front sling and stud but the butt of the rifle seemed to be touching the ground with the shoulder on top of the butt stock. There were competing at the Candian Forces Small Arms Championships (CFSAC).

I have used Hawkins however it's spelt with my own Enfield and it is extremely effective. A often used dodge was to tape a first field dressing to the sling by the front sling swivel to give a better grip. The butt is either on the ground or if possible actualy dug in. It is a fantastic tactical position being so low. The disadvantage is dust from muzzle blast is increased.

The point about the reverse was applying the same grip to the rear sling point.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.