What are the differences in Savage Actions?

Moman

Can someone give me a brief explanation of what the various model numbers stand for in the Savage bolt action line? I think I heard the three number designators (110, 112 etc) are long actions and two numbers are short actions. This is about all I know if that is even correct. Thanks.

Early savage 110s were long actions, but some had spacers and were chambered in SA calibers as were some of the 112s. 10s, 11s, most 14s, and some 12s are blued SAs but the 12 and 14 could be stainless, and all the 16s are SS. 110s, 111s, 114s, some 112s are blued LAs, 116s, some 112s, and some 114s are SS LAs. Model 12 precision target actions, and any other action factory chambered in the wsm's and rum's are large shanks 1.120" all others are 1.055". All LAs have a 5.062" action screw placement, the older stagger feed SAs have a 4.25" spacing, the new centerfeed SAs have a 4.4" spacing. Any other info just ask.

Thanks Backwoods, good info. What about mounting bases? Is the screw spacing the same on all of the long actions? Some bases say round receiver, some are flat receiver. Do you know when these variations came into being?

The screw spacing doesn't differ but preaccutrigger models early 06 and older the rear part of the receiver is flat all accutrigger models are round on both ends. Weaver and EGW make a good one piece base for either for 40 or less.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.