What are the advantages& disadvantages

joelbiltz

What are the advantages and the disadvantages of using the standard Federal 215 Mag primer and the 215 Mag Match primer. This would be for a 300 WBY mag and want to know the differances for hunting loads only. Thanks Joel

I will be honest with you. First I don't have a 300wby but in all the rounds I have loaded for the Fed primers have not been all that great for me ( my experience ) I did notice the match primers a little more consistent but varied with powder used. Some powders simply dont like some primers due to reasons unknown by me so I usually work up the same load with more than one primer type and most everytime there is one primer or the other that will be better with the powder I am trying to use. For instance I have found VihtaVouri powder doesn't like rem 91/2 primers at all but seems to like the magnum version better. There are no disadvantages or advantages I can list because I have no experience with that particular round so I would suggest trying them with the same powder and see which one actually produces the best results such as extreme spreads on velocity and group size at given distances.

The stories I've heard there is little difference. One story is the match grade primers are made on the newest machines with the least wear and therefore have the best tolerances. True or not I guess I have to say I've been buying match grade primers cause they are maybe $1-2 more than non match grade when buying by the 1000 quantity and I guess I figure the tiny cost increase per round fired is worth it. I woulnd't really count on the change to match making much difference in accuracy in a normal hunting rifle.

Have shot a 7mm Wby for a long time. Don't know about the match primers but for what ever reason a really hot load settled way down by simply switching from the Federal 215 to Rem 91/2M. I think RUM's about right. Some combinations want the ignition to start differently.

My 300wby deluxe with a #1 contour shoots in the 2's with plain old Fed 215's and imr7828. I only neck size with Lee Collet dies and only use real Weatherby brand brass. It's soft but has the biggest capacity. That's real important to me when I'm getting 3250 fps out of 180 grain Partitions out of a 23" barrel. My 257 WBy really likes CCI-250's.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.