What are some of the effective ranges of the 6.5x284 on various big game animals

It depends on a lot of things.

There are various models of lethality, all of them contested so it's hard to put exact numbers on it.

To give you a very rough basic idea, you can count on about 800 yards for animals weighing around 150 lb (more for heavier bullets, less for lighter)
500 yards for 300 lb animals
200 yards for 600 lb animals

These rough numbers are based on Matunas' Optimal Game Weight (OGW) formula, which is just one of the available lethality models. Matunas' OGW model is based on a combination of kinetic energy and momentum of the bullet in relation to the size of the animal. (see: Book)

Of course bullet construction/terminal performance is a key factor, and, above all, shot placement. You can kill a moose at 1000 yards with a 6.5-284 if you shoot it straight thru the heart. You can also not kill a deer at 50 yards if you don't hit it in the vitals.

I realize this doesn't answer your question specifically, but death simply can't be calculated.

Take care,
-Bryan

The 6,5 projectiles tend to have a high sectional density which makes them penetrate well ( as long as the right bullet is used).

As Brian says, there are many theoriews out there, you need some power to knock down an animal.

I have shot just one deer ( red) with the 6,5-284 but that was under 100 yds. Have killed many goats between 40 and 850 yds. -

I would not shoot an elk past 600 yds with a 6,5.

The real answer to the question is. Are you and your equipment capable of placing the properly constructed bullet in exactly the right spot to effect a quick kill at the chosen range said game is at? If you can place most any bullet through the lungs of a deer at 1000 yards it is dead. It might not drop on the spot but it will die.

The answer bsl135 gave is a good one.

One of the guys on the TV show "Best of the West" shot an elk at 925yds with the 6.5x284 using a 140 gr Berger. All depends on how well you can hold it.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.