What ammo to use?

mdslammer

Hi Guys,

I'm heading out to hunt a 300 lb. Russian Boar next month. I'll be taking my
.308 for the hunt. I will tell you that this will be my first hunt so I'm a bit green.

I've been shooting tactical for years with my rifle and with that I've been using
both Federal Gold Medal SMK BTHP 175gr cartridges. I also have loaded my own ammo.

Will this be a good choice for the hunt or do you recommend a different load?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best.

Mark

I have been curious to see how this load will do on hogs, if you want to give it a try and report back to me?

Hornady Match or Lapua brass (regular, NOT palma), with Federal 210 primers, 39.1gr of Varget, and Berger 210 VLD Hunting bullets seated up against the lands.

I bet that would make a nasty hog load.

I have shot a few deer and antelope with 168 gr GMM in my 308. It killed everything DRT but nothing was over 250 yards. I now shoot 208 Hornady Amax's in my 308. I haven't yet shot an animal but they hit hard. The 210 Berger should be a good load.

I shoot that Berger load out of my Rem 700 5R MilSpec .308 all the time, and it's insanely accurate. It actually blew my mind how much more accurate that load was compared to the 168 & 175 Nosler Custom Comp loads. Although those were quite accurate as well, but the groups were slightly larger.

That big 210 is one hard thumper. Which is why I've been curious about using it on hogs. It's traveling out of my muzzle around 2,400 fps, which makes me curious just how far you could kill a deer or hog with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts