What am I forgetting??!!

Dan B

OK...leaving on Wednesday for the long ride to the west! Goin' Elk huntin!!

I "think" I have everything ready. But it's been a while since I have taken an out of state hunt and don't want to forget anything.

What are the items that you find yourself franticly searching to find at the last minute or turning around and going back home to get??

Permit, stamps, bone saw, gloves, rope, camera, knives (3+), deodorant, toothbrush, eye glasses, sling for rifle, sleeping bag, hunter orange hat/vest, ...

And these are just the things I remember forgetting and going back for/replacing.

What I forgot was my chainsaw. Makes getting firewood difficult. USDA fire regs require you to have a shovel and bucket if you build an open fire.

The most indespensible item is your lucky charm. I used a found penny.

Good luck

Duct tape, 12" zip ties, and heavyduty garbage bags. I used all three on my antelope hunt.

batteries for headlamp, flashlight, gps, etc...
extra socks, game bags...
are you packing in, or just driving in for day hunts? makes a huge differance in what you're taking.

anyway, have fun, good luck!

don't forget ear plugs if you're sleeping with some snorin SOB. and believe me, the more they hunt, the worse the snoring will get!

Trail mix, jerky and whatever else you will need to be comfortable in the field for the day.

Don't forget to bring a few meds for the unexpected. I always bring Tylenol (or similar), Pepto Bismol tablets, Immodiam and a few antihistomines(sp)[Benedryl works] just in case you get bitten by some kind of bug that doesn't agree with you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quick story on the Benedryl: I was out bowhunting a good distance from home. While I was standing still looking skyward I began to feel pain in my face. Within a few seconds I was covered in Yellowjackets that came out of a hole in the ground right between my feet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I ran through the woods like a raving idiot trying to swat, shake or knock them off of me as I ran. My face blew up from the multiple bites and I became light headed and short of breath. It was really unpleasant and a bit nerve racking. Some time later when I told this story to my doctor he told me that if I had just taken a double or triple dose of Benedryl I would have avoided most of the symptoms.

Moral of the story:: Bring a small pouch of meds that you DON"T expect to need. It may save the whole trip.

Take what you hear here and sit down and make a list of what you think you might need, add items like plenty of Bic lighters water purifier, compass or gps, hatchett or bone saw,maps of the area you are to hunt, water proof your boots.Keep the list you will be adding things as you discover new needs... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.