What about Short Range projectiles?

kennygss

At the shorter ranges ( -500 yards) do you guys think bullet performance varies much, over say, a typical soft point, like a corelokt, interlock, pro hunter, etc?

I think that bullet construction and MV are what really matters at short range. for example120gr Nosler BT with a MV of 3400fps = grenade, where as 180gr Partition at 2900FPS = excellent terminal ballistics, and no grenade:)

I have seen spectacular results with the Pro Hunter, both terminally and in the accuracy department. My hunting buddy shoots them in everything he owns and has killed everything from rockchucks to elk from 50 ft to 500 yds. I got the best accuracy from that bullet in an STW I had a few years back after trying several bullets from Barnes, Hornady, Nosler, etc...

I have seen spectacular results with the Pro Hunter, both terminally and in the accuracy department. My hunting buddy shoots them in everything he owns and has killed everything from rockchucks to elk from 50 ft to 500 yds. I got the best accuracy from that bullet in an STW I had a few years back after trying several bullets from Barnes, Hornady, Nosler, etc...
+1
I've killed with sierra 7mm pro hunters to 700 yards and they are great.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.