What about Ramshot Hunter in the 6.5x300 WSM?

dwm

Are the Ramshot powders temp stable?

Here is what they say about Hunter:

Ideal Calibers:
.270 Win, .223 WSSM, 7mm WSM, 270 WSM, 300 WSM

"Hunter is the new powder in the Ramshot line and is the perfect spherical powder for medium caliber rifles. Hunter meters great, is clean burning, and produces outstanding velocity in traditional medium caliber cartridges and the new Winchester Short Magnum family of cartridges. Ramshot hunter performs consistently throughout a wide range of temperatures making it a perfect powder for your hunting loads."

I have been considering a new "non-stick" powder for the 6.5x300 WSM to see if I can extend the barrel life.

Any opinions as to using Ramshot Hunter in the 6.5x300 WSM?

Maybe Magnum would be better since it is slower and I have a 28" barrel?

Normally I am strickly a Hodgdon Extreme powder fan, but if I can get a longer barrel life in the 6.5x300 WSM with a different powder I would like to know ...

Last edited:
I think you would have a lot better luck with the Ramshot Magnum. Thats a lot of case and a small bore which lends itself much better to a slow burner. I've used Magnum in a couple similar situations and have had good results.....Rich

I think you would have a lot better luck with the Ramshot Magnum. Thats a lot of case and a small bore which lends itself much better to a slow burner. I've used Magnum in a couple similar situations and have had good results.....Rich

WOOPS, I just noticed you said WSM not WinMag. It might be a toss up? I have a 6.5 Sherman which has identical case capacity as a WSM and have had the best results with RL-22, RL-25, and Retumbo with the 140's. Other good choices are IMR 7828 and even 4350. I can hit 3200 in a 26" barrel with the first three mentioned.......Rich

My goal is to maximize barrel life in the 6.5x300WSM.

Supposedly by 500 to 600 rounds the barrel will be toast with the normal Hodgdon stick powders ...

Accordingly the recommended approach for extreme overbore situations is to use a ball type powder with a low flash temperature, or something that.

I noticed the RAMSHOT was marketing Hunter as temp stable ...

Not sure about Magnum being temp stable.

Pretty sure these are sperical powders, not known to be temp stable.

I should probably just load up the Retumbo and go for it and not look back.

But if there is a suitable temp stable ball or sperical powder that will lend itself to another couple hundred rounds before I need a new barrel, I would be all over that ...

Anyone have any suggestions?

My goal is to maximize barrel life in the 6.5x300WSM.

Supposedly by 500 to 600 rounds the barrel will be toast with the normal Hodgdon stick powders ...

Accordingly the recommended approach for extreme overbore situations is to use a ball type powder with a low flash temperature, or something that.

I noticed the RAMSHOT was marketing Hunter as temp stable ...

Not sure about Magnum being temp stable.

Pretty sure these are sperical powders, not known to be temp stable.

I should probably just load up the Retumbo and go for it and not look back.

But if there is a suitable temp stable ball or sperical powder that will lend itself to another couple hundred rounds before I need a new barrel, I would be all over that ...

Anyone have any suggestions?
Ramshot is a spherical but not sure about temp stability? I've fired 700 rounds thru my 6.5 Sherman with stick powders and everything is good so far. It does make sense to use a lower temp powder though. Good luck.....Rich

RL17 will always be first on my list of powders in anything from Dakota and 375 Ruger size case, and smaller, especially in the WSM cases. I don't know know how temp stable it is yet, but it has always produced much better results than expected for me. Get some 17 and Magnum and compare them and let us know the results. I can just about guarantee you, the 17 will produce much better velocity than Retumbo in the 6.5 WSM. Can't guarantee stability or that your rifle will like it, but worth trying IMO. I an interested in seeing more feedback on the Ramshot powders, especially in comparison to RL17 and other powders.

-Mark

Thanks for the comments,

I have:

WC872

H50BMG, Retumbo, H1000, H4831SC, H4350, Varget

IMR8208XBR, and RL-17

I have loaded some WC872, H4831SC, and RL-17.

I am specifically concerned about barrel life with stick powders.

The throat in my 7RUM has moved at least 0.25 inch, probably more, and now I am concerned about how long this barrel will last.

What do you think the useful life of a 6.5x300 barrel is if never allowed to get hot and always loaded it H1000 or Retumbo vs a simialr speed ball powder?

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments,

I have:

WC872

H50BMG, Retumbo, H1000, H4831SC, H4350, Varget

IMR8208XBR, and RL-17

I have loaded some WC872, H4831SC, and RL-17.

I am specifically concerned about barrel life with stick powders.

The throat in my 7RUM has moved at least 0.25 inch, probably more, and now I am concerned about how long this barrel will last.

What do you think the useful life of a 6.5x300 barrel is if never allowed to get hot and always loaded it H1000 or Retumbo vs a simialr speed ball powder?

Man! you've got some slow powders! The military 872 works great in the ultra mags but is too slow for most cases. I got some pretty high velocities with it in my 30" barreled 300 ultra with the heavier bullets. As I recall, I was loading in excess of 110 grs.:D.......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.