What about an Ackley improved RUM

James Jones

I know that they are so badly overbore that the Ai would do littl but I was wondering about case life and maybe saving the throat some
I'm thinking about a 30" barreled 300RUM

A 40 degree is better than a 30 degree, IMHO. LOOK AT THIS. Feeding is the only negative that I can see. It's easy to fix however, all you have to do is polish the bottom of the rails close to the ramp. Otherwise, you get scratched edges on your brass case's 40 degree shoulder. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I don't think case life will be enhanced much but if it floats your boat then go for it. I personally don't think a 7mm or 300 ultra need more powder because they are already limited on barrel life, but I did do it to a 338 ultra and think a 375 ultra improved would be a kick butt african rifle. But then again, maybe putting a slightly shaper shoulder angle on that 300 ultra would push a 240 grain MK past all known velocities! Someone want to do a little experiment? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I thought I had heard that improving the RUM design didnt give you much for the trouble?? This may not be true, I would rather have one with a nice sharp shoulder, looks purty!!!

I just thought I had heard someone in the past on here say you didnt gain enough to warrent the effort. Then again I guess that GG is having pretty good results with his. But that may be just that he prettied up that brass so much, I didnt know rem brass could get that shiny.

Take it easy
steve

I dabbled a year or so ago at desiginig my own wild cat and I looked at it from a different perspective. With a Rum you alread have a nice super maginum chambering, but how can you increase it and make it more user friendly. Add a 40 degree shoulder(no brainer), less brass trimming and a slightly more efficient cartridge. So what else would benefit, my idea was to shorten the cartridge to maket it more magazine frienndly with further seated bullets, but do not change the taper so although you are fire forming the shoulder you are not fireforming the whole case. So you dont really need to consider it as a seperate step. Its a wildcat without all the trouble. Now my purpose was to reduce the caliber also.
Just my .02

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.