What 6.5 to chamber in?

I've been thinking that the new Ruger compact magnum cartridge necked down to 6.5 ought to be a humdinger.The case capacity is about halfway between the 06' case and the WSM case and it should feed better than WSM case. If the Hornady brass turns out to be any good it should be worth trying. Once I get a kid out of college I may have to give it a try.

David

Ok, I got the skinny on the barrel. It is an 8 twist and has pitting in the bore. So it will probably be a fouler. May not ever have great accuracy, but the price is right. Will treat it with Gun Juice and see what happens. Nonetheless, it should be interesting to see what we can get out of it. Should be able to learn more about the 6.5 cal.

Steve

Chamber it in 6.5x47 Lapua so I can live vicariously through you until June when mine gets built:D

I've been going back and forth between the 6.5x47 and the .260Rem. Leaning towards the .260 just because of brass cost, and not sure if it will shoot really well. To the naked eye the barrel looks fine. I think it'll shoot fine, may just be a beech to clean.

Steve

+1 on 6.5 WSM, finally got all the parts to mine. Have 25 rounds down the tube so far and really like it.

A 6.5-300WSM would be faster than a 6.5x.284. It has a greater Case capacity and can operate at a higher pressure. the brass is thicker.

As far a which is more accurate. That isn't necessarily a fair question for the 6.5 WSM as it is a fairly new Wildcat cartridge and doesn't yet have the following that the 6.5x.284 has.

It's a little over bore to be using as an F-class Bench cartridge and barrel life would certainly suffer.

I have a 6.5-06 Ackley improved with a 26"bbl that gets faster velocities than a .264 Win mag with a 140g bullet, and I would put it up against any 6.5x.284 in a hunting rifle as far as accuracy goes. its a good cartrige too. a 6.5 WSM would certainly be faster, more accurate??? Who knows.?.?.

Dan

Dan, I have a long and short 700 action and have been debating for some time on what 6.5 to build. The long action is a standard bolt face and the short action I will have to get a bolt from PTD so it could be ordered to suit. I think if I was to use the long action I would certainly go with the 6.5x06AI. My main hunting rifle is a 300SAUM and a couple weeks ago shot my second elk in two years at 600 yards and I'm definitely hooked on long range shooting. I need another long distance gun like I need a hole in the head. But a gun gets boring and I really enjoy the work up process of a new gun/load. I heard of a guy making a 6.5 X 300SAUM and it supposedly shot real well. I'm also leaning towards shooting 120/130 grain bullets from it. I'm not sold on the VLD's as a hunting round. Out of 15 big game animals taken the last couple years with X and tipped X bullets I've only found 3 bullets. The rest were all pass thoughts. I don't know how a guy could ask for better performance. Anyway I'm enjoying learning about the various 6.5's out there and one day I need to just make up my mind and get the gun built.

Phil in Alaska

Howdy Phil!

I'm certainly glad to see interest in the 6.5mm cartridges. I really like my 6.5-06 AI. I'm in the same situation, I didn't need it and my main hunting rifle is a .30-06 AI.

The furthest I've taken a game animal with the .30-06 AI is 489yds on a Mule deer Buck. I shoot 165g bullets out of it at an honest 3125FPS with a 26"bbl.

I actually wanted the 6.5-06AI first, but I built the .30-06AI instead because It was more practical and really made more sense at the time. It was my first custom, so I decided to go the more practical route. This was also before I LRH. If I had stoppped here first, the 6.5-06 AI would have been built and the .30-06 AI would never seen the light of day, I'd have built bigger like a .338 Edge.....Can't change the past...

However, looking at you're choice of a Barnes, I can see why you're not sure about the VLD bullets as hunting bullets. They work in such diffrent ways that it's unfair to both Barnes and Berger to truely compare them. I've harvested with both, and I can definately say that both have there place. However, when talking about "long distance" hunting, the VLD would be my go to bullet. They have a better BC than the Barnes and don't drop as much. at the extended distances, they are less effected by the wind as well. The Bergers work just like they say, they go in 2" or so then they abruptly come apart and shred what ever is in the way. A Double lung shot is prefered. There won't be an exit, but you won't have to track the game, they'll hemorage and then die within a few yards. This is exactly what I did with a large 4X4 Muley buck.

Barnes are all about holding together and smashing what ever they come in contact with. They will almost always pass through (as you well know).

Anyway, it sound like a nice 6.5 Cal rifle would suit you just fine. Hope you come to some decision, if I can help..... let me know!

Dan​

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts