What 55 grainer for Savage 22-250?

Working up some Nosler 55 grain Varmint Ballistic Tips. 39 grains of Hodgdon 380. 1/2 x 3/4" group.

I also use the 55 gr nosler varmint ballistic tips.
I had a good load with 33 gr imr4895 but something happened.
Now I'm trying RL17 but haven't finalized it yet.

Varget does very well and is temperature stable
H380 does well but is more temp sensitive.

My .22-250 has always loved the 55gr. v-max. Unfortunately, it also gets the best groups with 36.7gr of Varget. It's a screaming fast round, and I'm sure it's doing my barrel life no favors, but it's accurate. <3/4" groups at 235yds. As long as I do my part right. gun)

No, I don't have a chrony, yet.

It would be worth your while to try out the 53 gn vmax as was stated previously by Joe. It's .291 bc is the best bc out there for anything under 65 gns. Nothing in the 32-60 gn world comes close in bc...It shot great out of my old 22-250

So I'm reloading for a buddy and we've settled on using 55 grain bullets.

I've read in other posts lots of good things about the Sierra Game King (#1365), and as I was looking around on their website I found a Sierra Blitz King (#1455) which has an even higher BC. Anyone have experience with this or other good 55 grain bullets?
He'll be shooting prairie dogs and coyotes.
Any info much appreciated.

I have not tried the Sierra #1455 bullet, and without pulling up the Sierra disc to see the specs I can only guess. The 1365 bullet computes to a near perfect fit for the twelve twist rate according to smarter folks than I (using a .80 factor number figured into the equation). I had pretty good numbers with the 55 grain Vmax, but the 1365 grouped a little tighter for me. Powder seemed to be critical with that bullet, and IMR 3031 seemed to be better, but also found that 2015BR (very close match to 3031) didn't do nearly as well. I tried H380 and H414, but the groups seemed to open up considerably in all three Savage 22-250's I own. If it ever decides to warm up around here, I plan on experimenting with a 50 grain bullet or two to see what I can do with them, and want to get back into the 60 grain bullets again. Interrestingly, I couldn't get the 52 / 53 grain match bullets to shoot very well in any of these rifles. But on paper they should. (note: I have not tried the 52 grain Amax and it looks like it might be a good pick).

What I wish Savage had done, was to offer an optional 10 twist barrel. (I know they offer a 9 twist) with a little bit longer throat to shoot 60 thru 65 grain bullets. The 10 twist would be slightly too fast for the 53 grain Vmax, but still shoot it very well. The 12 twist would work well, but is also getting close to the max for the twist rate. Yet the 60 grain bullets would seriously benifit. I never knew how well the ten twist worked in a 22 centerfire till I spent a day shooting an AR with a ten twist match barrel
gary

Nosler ballistic tip or Hornady Vmax will fill the bill very well. The Sierra Game King is a pretty tough bullet that is made for bigger stuff than a Pdog. The Sierra Blitz King may have trouble staying together on it's way to target if you push it hard. The older Sierra blitz bullets were not even recommended for use in the 22-250. I used to shoot them in a 223 and they would really mess up a groundhog. I have a buddy that shoots the 55 ballistic tip with Varget in his 22-250 and it is really accurate.

I shoot the 1365 bullet with 35.5 grains of 3031 showing 3550 fps thru the chronograph. I think 36.0 grains is considered max in the Speer manual. Have a three dozen rounds loaded up with 2460 and two different 55 grain bullets (34.0 thru 35.7 grains) to try. If the groups look promising I'll do some further investigation into that powder.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.