What 30 caliber should I build for 1000yd competition and hunting

JustC

I am building on a stainless 700 action which is unfired. The original chambering was a 338UM. I will be taking off the barrel and stock, then sending the action to my "smith". I have been considering a 300UM or 300UM Imp. I would like to use it for crop damage hunting as well as 1000yd competition sometime in the next year or two. My plans for the barrel are somewhere in the 30" range with a break (not included in length). I see some members saying a 300win mag will not be overshadowed by more than 150fps with a 26" tube and a 300UM chambering. that being said, would I be better served by building the 300win or 300wthby or 30 hart than the 300UM in the 30" barrel?

Give me your thoughts on a long range hunting AND competition (dual purpose)rifle caliber. I am ready to chamber and don't want to build it without some input from those more experienced in the long range arena than myself. thanks guys.

Justin

Just C

If you are going to try and shoot 1000 yd br, that means 30 cal in all probability when you add hunting with it. With the 30, it seems that the 300 Weatherby in tight neck .334-.336 or improved Weatherby of some type would be best. In competition, brass quality is key, so Norma brass is available. Get 1-10 twist barrel 28-30" if it will make weight. If $ is no object consider fluting to give you that extra inch or two.

Recommend you have built to PA 1000 standards which is 16.5 lbs straight taper to .950 or .940 with muzzle brake added, that way it is legal for IBS or NBRSA matches also. They have 17 lb limit and no taper requirements. Any gun that meets PA standards will meet the others, but not necessarily other way around.

Large capacity case such as 300Ack Imp or 300 Weatherby will shoot 240s very well if you want. Gives you great round to hunt with also.

Stocks McMillian Tooley MBR or Bruce Baer laminate. Cheaper and straighter than Bill Shehanes. Both 3" front end.

Jewell trigger

Barrells- I am partial to Clay Spencers in VA, or Hart. Lilja is good also. Spencer builds some of the tightest tolerance and best barrels I have seen. Seen too many non-shooting PacNors, Kriegers and K&P to take a chance on them. Personal opinion and bias, take it for what it is worth.

Recommend you sleeve the action if using a Remington. Try speedlock kit from Holland Gunsmithing with lightened and oversize firing pin and stronger springs that will not kink.

Finally, find a good 1000 yard BR gunsmith. Someone who can really and build and get a competitive 1K BR gun. Not just a "parts assembler" who has not built competitive guns or shoots competitive. John Myer of Custom Gunsmithing and Clay Spencer in VA, Bruce Baer in PA, Leonard Baity and Dave Tooley in NC.

Thanks BountyHunter, so i take it you advise against the 300UM or 300UM imp? Is is just a brass quality issue? Would that round be a good choice if/when premium brass were to be offered?

Also, what about one of the Lazerroni calibers such as a 7.62 warbird?

Thanks

You said to be competitive at 1000 also. Look at the results of the 1000 yard nationals in NC and the results of the NC and VA 1000 yard BR clubs. The superbig overcapicity cases just are not competitive BR calibers normally. The 300 Weatherby, 300 AI or 308 Baer are both competitive and enough case to easily launch 240s for LR hunting. Cases are the means to obtain consistent quality accuracy.

Remember this rule: Any competive 30 cal will be good for hunting, but not every hunting LR gun will be competitive at 1000 yd BR.

BountyHunter, is the 300AI formed off of the 300wthby or another caliber? Also, I don't want to sound dumb, but what is the 308baer? What case is that formed off of? Thanks for the help so far guys.

300AI(300 Ackley improved) 308 Baer is pretty much a 300 weatherby improved so you can use 300 weatherby,340 weatherby,375 H&H ect. brass to form.

OK 300AI= 300win mag brass
308Baer=300wthby brass.

Now, which does anyone prefer, and why? Also, what advantage, if any, would the lazerroni cartridges have, due to not having the belted case?

Thanks guys.

Using the 300 Weatherby brass for the 308 Baer leaves shorter necks than using the 375 or 340 Weatherby. You can get Norma 375 and have good results and quality brass. Most seem to use one of the latter brass as the starting point.

Good luck.

BH

Thanks gentlemen. I will look for some data on the 308baer and 300AI.

Anyone have any idea where I can find some load data and balistics on these calibers?

JustC

If you throw ANY of the improved 30 cals in a pile, there's not much difference between them.
Some have 40 degree shoulders while most have 35 degree or less.
Most will perform the SAME at 1000 yd matches with even the SAME loads. You can add the 300 Weatherby to that statement also.

This includes the 308 Baer, the 30 Goodling, the 300 RDP, the 30 Ackley and a host of other creations with the parent case being the 300 and 375 H&H mags.

You can't go wrong if you like the 30 cal bore, with a tight neck straight 300 Weatherby for match shooting from a custom chambered rifle.

The 30 Cals are the biggest winners at Williamsport and this is because of the primium brass and bullets that are available for them.

It's a toss up, but if you don't like fireforming and excess barrel wear and most of your shooting is going to be target work, go with a 300 Weatherby or 300 Win Mag.
If your going to be shooting target and Longrange hunting where you may need additional velocity, try ANY of the IMP 30s.

Later
DC

JustC

I have the 30 Goodling, the 30 RDP and have had several 308 Baers in the past.

There's no noticable difference between the three as far as case appearence is concerned.

At present, my 30 Goodling and straight 300 Weatherby's shoot the best.

Later
DC

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.