whale wars

midwesthunter

I watched my first episode of it this weekend. I will be up front and I don't know anything about whale laws, and don't have a side that I'm with. I'm sure the waters they are in are international waters and not sure who has control over them. But I was amazed that the whalers don't take more serious actions. Plus since its on TV aren't the Anti's incriminating them selves? They were shooting stuff out of what looked like potato guns and I heard one was some kind of acid. Plus using rope to tangle in prop. I would think shooting one of those harpoon guns through those small boats would really detour them.

No kidding right, im all about conservation but if whales are a serious industry and food source for whatever country they are battling with than leave them be. Its all fine and good to hate on them for whaling but what would happen if they came after american boats that are fishing tuna? Then the **** would really hit the fan.

The courts are still looking into what is legal. Japan state they are doing it for reasearch, the anti whalers say it is against the law to kill whales. I'm a redneck and guess i am nott green enough.
Save a tree wipe your *** with a spotted owl.
Earth first we will drill the other planets later.
ETC.

focusing on "saving whales" and not looking at the en tire eccosystem is foolhearty and shortsided at best. Take wolves for example, when my grandfather was young they really hunted the heck out of the wolves, but the caribou on the sw alaska peninsula were really plentiful and utilized for a daily food source. In 2005 we were no longer able to apply for tier2 subsistance permits for caribou due to their low numbers. Now wolves are plentiful and I have to get in a plane and fly several hundred miles to hunt caribou, it is definitely not a subsistance thing anymore. Somehow I doubt that when the elk are mostly gone in northern ID people will switch to hunting and eating wolves.....

The whale population is growing, if the species is plentiful enough to harvest commercially, its out competing something. If we let it go unchecked, while managing other speceis we do them, and ourselves a disfavor. I.e. the killer whale population and its astounding impact on western alaska halibut and blackcod.

Mega props to the japanese for spening the coin on researching the potential for another food source. If any country is going to responsibly study them, they are probably the ones. Feel bad for their heavly passivist govt stance, they should be ramming the little seasheperd morons. Its odd to me that their is very little done with the norwegins, they still activly whale. Somehow I get the distict feeling that a rammed norweigin whaler would be a sunk sea shepard boat.

If the Cod go away Ill be out a winter job, If the salmon don't come back in numbers my summerand half my income is gone. If the resource is not sustainable I'm out of work. If that doesnt qualify me as a conservationist I don't know what does.

My personal opinion is that its about the money, the origional sea shepheard video brought in close to 100mil in dontations, thats a lot more than it costs to drive a trash scow to the south pole. Somebody is making some serious money throwing cherry bombs at japanese scientists, SAVE THE WHALES..... and give me money....

I don't give a -------------what you think of any activity I might be engaged in. Attack my vessel on the water and one of us is swimming home. The cheap management types need to hire security, for these ships. Reportedly "pirates" boarded one ship, didn't take anything, didn't ask ransom, just wanted to know how to steer it. didn't care if they could stop it just get it up to speed and maneuver.
I can't say about whales, but nut jobs aren't an endangered species-there's one on every corner and 2 to take their place, it's way past time to make their actions come with consequences.

I saw a little bit of the program and it didn't take me long to realize this was a PETA supported flick and I quit watching it.I do not understand why the Japs didn't sink their arses!If I was fishing or hunting and some protest group came and harassed me,I think I would have to take some kind of action.Whales deserve their place on earth,but until the international world makes some sort of law to totally protect them from harvest,I have to side with the fishermen on this one.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.