Went out to kill whitey...

Big Sky

SPONSOR
...and did. It's not as nice as Fiftydrivers, nor was it a long shot. In fact it's one of the closer shots I've ever had at a buck. Under 30 yards. The Hornady 165gr IB's performed flawlessly (just like they have every time for me out of my 30.06) Anyway, it's nice to have the season over. I've passed up over 70 bucks, spent to much on gas traveling to and from my hunt destinations, and have neglected too much time at home. Time to do some catching up. Hope you all had or have a successful season.
WhitetailTroy2.jpg

That's a great buck, congrats....It seems to be a thing this year (including myself) getting some game up close with our long range rigs out

Beautiful country/land/property and a beautiful animal, congrats.

Be thankful for the opportunities you have. Many of us would give anything to have the opportunity to see as many deer as you, to hunt an area as beautiful as you have, to harvast the whitetail you have and to have the family you have waiting for you at home.

Be thankful always.

Mike

Mike, sorry didn't mean to sound unthankful. Although I can sort'a see how a guy might think that. I guess a more accurate description is that I'm very tired and basically worn out from this season. I went a lot, went hard, and now I'm plumb tired. Give me a few day's and I'll be anxious to get back out. Oh and just so you know I spent more than half my life in a state where seeing one or two small buck in an entire season was something to be proud of, and if you killed a fork horn you literally had bragging rights. I love living here and don't ever take it for granted.

Big Sky,

You are correct, "You only live once, if you do it right, once is enough". I am finding this out more and more everyday. I didn't mean to jump you like I did, it's just that I recently found out that brain cancer I thought I beat is back. Having found out that the cancer is back in my brain has really made me think about all the things I'd like to do before I die. Your words are so true, do it right the first time and once will be enough. I only wish I had realized that years ago. I'm only 37 so I can attest, if there is something you need/want to say or do, don't wait until tommorrow, do it or say it today or ASAP.

Because so many things and opportunities have been taken from me, I want others to appreciate the gifts that they have. The gift to live in Montana and hunt those big whitetails, mulies, antelope and elk. Just to be able to live there and raise your family.

My best to you and yours, I hope you raise a happy and healthy family.

Mike

Thanks

Hi Mike, I don't post a lot because I'm typing with two fingers. I appreciated you sharing your story. Don't you dare give up. We have examples close to our family that have beat this. Whether you believe in prayer or not, you just got added to my prayer list. And thanks for helping me put things in perspective.
Tim G

Thanks Tim, more than I can say or you will ever know, Thank You.

Not giving up. Just the possibility/reality of what might happen.

Thanks Again.

mikenc, I can't know what to say to a guy in your situation, but at least you view things differently and appreciate things more. I've always tried to live by the motto at the end of each of my posts. It's taken me all over the world on a popper's income. I wouldn't trade any of it.

Big Sky,
nice buck! Congrats!

mikenc,
sent up a prayer for you just now. Only the Lord knows the number of our days; may yours--hopefully many, many more years--be blessed. I am 37 also and I need a reminder from time to time about how precious time with loved ones is. Thanks and God Bless.

That's a nice buck, BigSky. He looks pretty old and would likely be on the decline soon. It's a blessing he was taken when you did, with honor and reverence, rather than dieing a slow painful death otherwise.

Big Sky,

That is a fantastic buck!!! Do not believe I would ever let one like that walk.

I think everyone here would agree that non of us hunt for the "kill". The kill is the end of the enjoyment of being out with nature which is what makes know or remember we are alive and humbles us to realize how small we really are in this big world. But to be able to take part in it is what makes us do it every year. To enjoy it with our families is a huge bonus. We are truely blessed to live in the west. I for one will never leave Montana as long as I can support my family here.

Again, congrats on a fine buck!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Fiftydriver said: "I for one will never leave Montana as long as I can support my family here."

I say that nearly every day. I can't imagine a better place and I've been to a ton of places!

Hey, are you headed to Canada for deer this year?

Last edited: