Well then what?

alldayhunter

Well it appears that a cooper is out of the question after a little research. Since i got such a "great" response to my last thread i decided to ask for suggestions on what to get. I am open to calibers as well as rifles. I am leaning to a 300 wsm or a 7mag but dont know wich rifle. I would like to keep at or under 1500 to leave me money for a good scope. Also what scope would you look at. I was thinking a swaro with a 30 mm tube and the TDS reticle. I would like a gun in the 8# range without scope. Thanks for the help in advance.

Well it appears that a cooper is out of the question after a little research. Since i got such a "great" response to my last thread i decided to ask for suggestions on what to get. I know nothing regarding your last thread?
I am open to calibers as well as rifles. I am leaning to a 300 wsm or a 7mag but dont know wich rifle. What game do you plan on taking with the rifle. If you're hunting exclusively in MO either caliber would be fine. The WSM would do the job. So would a 7X57. I would like to keep at or under 1500 to leave me money for a good scope. I agree with this thinking. The scope should cost as much or more than the rifle. Also what scope would you look at. I was thinking a swaro with a 30 mm tube and the TDS reticle. Hmmmm. I would like a gun in the 8# range without scope. An 8# rifle w/o the scope.......a Swaro w/TDS. Things don't seem to be balancing. At 1500 for the rifle I would suppose that you are not thinking "custom" and a Swaro on a Savage doesn't seem logical to me. Thanks for the help in advance.

If you are thinking Sheep hunting rifle w/regards to the 8# specification then the Swaro would make sense. I suppose that you mention the TDS reticle as this would not be a long range use rifle thus no clicking. An 8 pounder sounds like a carry/walk & stalk rifle with most shots being taken while standing.

Maybe more end use detail would be appropriate?

Thanks for the response. I no longer live in Mo but have moved to CO. 8#s is a little light i agree and would be willing to go heavier. Right now i am looking for a rifle i can carry but has some long range capability. I am open to all suggestions on rifles and glass. As far as heavier rifles i looked at a savage low profile varminter in the ten pound range. I really like the optics in swaros but am open to suggestion. Thanks again for the response

I have several swaro scopes. Most of my experience with swaro scopes has been on big bore dangerous game guns so I have them in the 1-6 power range. I own one Z6 that is 2-12x50. It is a really nice scope. I am setting up another coyote gun right now and I believe I will go with a Nightforce compact 2.5-10x36. This will be my first Nightforce scope. People here have nothing but good things to say about those scopes. They say great things about its clarity, durability and most about its function. I think you should check them out as well. But swaro for now (since I dont own a Nightforce yet) is one scope I love to look through.

Have you thought about getting a Remington rifle (new or used) and having it re-barreled with a quality barrel in the caliber of your choice? I shoot several factory remingtons and I have always had good luck. As I have shot more and learned more from this forum I think having something re-barreled with a high quality barrel makes a lot of sense. I own a a 300wsm and a 7mm. I guess I would take a 7mm. The reason I say that is there seems to be more flexability in reloading for a 7mm. If you are not going to reload then I would go with a 300wsm. They are a short action and you can make a more compact rifle if that is important to you.

There are several gunsmiths on this forum that I am sure would re-barrel a gun for you. I would think you could get the whole thing done inside your budget. I bet you would have a wonderful gun to shoot.

Last edited:
For a factory rifle a lot of people are having good experiences with Savage.
I also agree that rebarreling with a quality barrel is a great route to go as well. It gives you a lot of flexibility.

What rifles do you currently have that you would consider a "builder?"

I'd jump on Gunbroker and get a Savage in 300WSM for around $600 with the accutrigger. If you don't like the stock, then get a Russo, McMillan or Manners stock for another $500-600 and you'll have a very good rifle.

When my Savage 300WSM was new, I swapped the recoil lug and barrel nut for good machined ones (from Savage Shooters Supply) and reset the headspace (easily done at home with the Savages, using less than $100 in tools). It shot sub 1/2" with just about every load I fed it. I then bought a Russo laminate stock for it and swapped the barrel for a 338Edge. I still have the original 300WSM barrel that I use occasionally for some cheap/accurate practice.

AJ

Just as an example I went to Gander Mountain the other day and purchased a Remington BDL in 300 RUM (left hand) for about $500. I also got a Remington BDL in 338 RUM for the same price. I know they have some aged inventory Remington BDL's (right hand) in several cals for the same price.

The Remington BDL I have right now in 300 RUM shoot very very well. I had all sorts of plans for the gun but it shoots so well I have just had a trigger job done to it and left it alone. The new ones I purchased will get worked over. The BDL stock is not something I like so I will replace it.

There are so many options when you rebarrel a gun. SAvage is also a good way to go. I am partial to Remington but many people love their savages as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.