Well that didn't last long.

kraigwy

Hunted Antelope in WY Area 7. Wife and I had three tags, two any and one doe.

Set our tent up the night before and dern near got run over by a nice heard.

At first light on opening day I took a stroll over the hill while wife got ready. Spotting a yearling buck. Would have passed but someone already shot its foot off so I figured I'd go a head and take it since he wouldn't last the winter.

Got it back to the tent and took the wife out. She shot her buck and while working are way to retrieve it almost got run over by another heard. I took a two year old doe out of it.

Bye 11 AM we were done. Nothing left to do but pack up, go home and get ready for elk hunting.

I can't understand people saying the numbers are down in NE Wyoming. I've hunted this same spot for years and never had a problem. I've seen more goats in this area this year then any time in the past.

Wife's first antelope:

Karenqus%20goat1.JPG

Nice first antelope. Finishing off cripples antelope hunting sucks. We've done it a couple of times, the fact it's the high road doesn't make it suck less.

Good job. Its nice when there are a few to choose from. I have hunted areas 17,18, 23, and 24 over the years. South of I-90 where you are hunting seems to have plenty of antelope. I'm going out in 23 in a couple of days. Been out deer hunting up in antelope areas 17 and 18. They are N of I-90. Out towards Weston and Rocky Point. Antelope numbers there are way down from 5 years ago. Spring snow storms a couple of years ago and hemmoragic disease have taken the herds way down. The number of licenses has been cut as a result.
Good example just what you see driving down the road. I'm hunting basically 40 miles N of Gillette. Coming back middle of the day on Oct 1 to pick up my grandson to take him deer hunting. Saw 5 different groups of antelope from the road. Next day we did a AM hunt about 40 miles So. of Gillette. Between 25 and 30 different groups coming home. Not very scientific but it shows the trend.
The rancher who's property I was hunting on commented to us on antelope numbers being down on his ranch. There are some there. Just not what there was a few years ago. I feel that someone spending the $$ to come from out of state deserves to know how hard or easy it is likely to be to get a decent buck.
Good of you to shoot the buck w/ the bad foot. Did that myself a few years ago w/ a deer. No use letting them suffer. Good shooting and sounds like a great time. Congrats Bruce

nice buck! where are your pics? I had a similar experience in 2006. My brother and I hunted WY. He was first up. 2 min after legal hunting time his buck was down. 200 yards, 270, 110 TSX. Mine was being gutted by 1030am.

Congrats on the fine buck your wife was able to take. And my hat is off to you sir for doing the right thing with that buck you shot, tells me all I need to know about you. If we ever meet, beers on me.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.