Well it isn't hunting but it was fun....

41mag

Well it isn\'t hunting but it was fun....

The wife and I got a chance to pursue our other hobby this past weekend. It was a short trip but fun none the less. We headed to High Island, Saturday morning to meet up with a couple of my co-workers. After arriving we visited some then set up the rods. It didn't take long till things were clicking away pretty well. We ended up with 3 nice black tips and a couple of decent redfish. Here is a pic or two of them,
Co-workers first bull redfish,
P7080027.jpg

The last blacktip of the day and the biggest of the three,
P7080024.jpg

The wife in on the action wrangling her own bull red,
P7080016.jpg

and the results,
P7080019.jpg

Wished we had been there from sun up but we had a few things to get done before we could go. Still we did pretty good for only about 5 hours. Most of the fish were in the first hour and a half.

Re: Well it isn\'t hunting but it was fun....

Well it is twenty to six my time and all I got to eat for dinner is chicken. I must not be living right. I could sure handle a nice big fillet of redfish.

Looks like fun Mike,

I went down to Port Aransas a couple of years ago and saw quite a bit of fish in the shallow water. How far out do you have to cast???

congrats again
steve

Being the Northwest's #1 Blackened Redfish chef, the ole' mouth is a waterin'.

We usually have to settle for Salmon steak which by the way when blackened properly ain't to shabby.

BB, I'll betcha you're one of those people who would go to Commander's Palace in New Orleans and order chicken. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well, all I can say is I had chicken for supper as well. LOL

The fish were all released to fight another day. Hopefully they will be bigger next time round.

As for the distance out, well I was hauling the baits out with the kayak about 200 - 300 yds and dropping them. The weights I was using prohibit casting with the rigs I had out. However, there are a LOT of times when we do indeed cast out to them and it isn't generally all that far. With a decent cast I, and most of the folks we fish with can easily hit around 75yds with a decent bait. A few of them can hit further. It takes specialized gear and lots of practice just like LRH does.

I also competed in a few casting tourneys for distance and my recorded best is just over 600' with a 150 gram weight. A few of my buds can hit the mid to high 800' areas.

We generally release all sharks, and most redfish over 30". The better ones are from 20 - 30" anyway. Not as much head or blood line to cut around. Once they get over 30, it seems that their head grows in lenght as well and you get about the same lenght fillet only somewhat thicker.

Roy, I would probaly order a T-bone or Rib Eye instead. LOL But your all right, the blackend fillets are great. We have tried several different species and all were just as tasty.

[ QUOTE ]
I would probaly order a T-bone or Rib Eye instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do those also, and pork chops too, if I can get them cut thick enough. Wonder what one of those Tx hogs would blacken?

[ QUOTE ]
BB, I'll betcha you're one of those people who would go to Commander's Palace in New Orleans and order chicken.

[/ QUOTE ]

As best I can determine the people in Nawlins always get the grease too hot and burn the fish. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I bet it would've been huntin' if you would have fallen out the kayak!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Been there done that as well. It isn't too bad as long as you have already dropped the bait. If you still got it with you, there is always the chance of getting tangled with the line, or a hook through you. That to me is more on my mind than being bitten.

If your ever headed this way give me a heads up. I might be able to fix you up with some redfish action, and possibly even a toothy critter or two.

I like to hear that you catch and release the black tip reef sharks. Shark populations have dwindled in the past decades. My other hobby is SCUBA diving and I really like to go see the sharks when I'm in the gulf area. I was within an arms length of a 6-1/2 footer in march. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gifBeautiful creatures to watch. Not very aggressive either, when I hear shark I generally run to the water!

Meister,
In times past I have kept a shark or two. However it was more to see what all of the hub bub was about in shark steaks. It only took a couple to figure out there are a LOT better things to eat.

Nowday's, we do everything we can to revive them before the release. We walk them into the waves and support them as needed until they take off on their own. IF they flounder we will grab them and work with them some more. If they do die we wil make every effort to see they are not wasted.

I was also taggin them for MOTE marine out of Florida for while, and had one of my tags recovered two weeks after the release about 80 miles from where it was initially caught.

Your right they are magnificent creatures. It is a shame the way they have been protreyed and treated in the world today. One thing about them that will never change, when you step into the water, your no longer at the top of the food chain. LOL

I dove with Stuart Coves in Nassau this spring. There were some huge reef sharks, if you get a chance to head there, do it, you don't even have to be a diver. There are snorkel trips that have the same access and proximity to the big sharks. My wife (worlds biggest chicken) even got goaded into jumping in the water with them, it was an experience. I'm a sharklover, not PETA style, but just an avid admirer.

I am heading to Nassau tommorrow morning so I might have to give this a whirl. I am a cerified diver but my wife sure isnt so i would probably just snorkel with her.

I will have to look for the place you are talking about.

thanks
steve

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts