Weighing Powder - How precise is good enough?

Are you getting fliers on target or ??

I have good, expensive, repeatable electronic and beam scales.

Where have I found better accuracy? Controlling neck tension - read that....having repeatable neck tension, loaded cartridge runout to the absolute minimum, and lastly, bullets.

Bullets are the hardest to measure, in order to sort in repeatable lots. Juenke machine anybody?? Have not tried one.

Years ago I read a detailed evaluation conducted by the military when they were evaluating match grade /sniper ammunition when they began to get serious about evaluating rifles and ammo for snioer use. Just about every component was measured for variation and tested. I seem to remember them stating that a .1grain difference in powder weight for .308/30-06 match grade ammo fired in match grade rifles will result in a .1MOA change in elevation, all other parameters being equal. At that time I had access to laboratory equipment and balances that could measure weights at a much finer level than .1gr. and was debating whether I should look into using this type of equipment for my reloading. I decided that .1gr accuracy would be close enough based on that information, and it has for the most part proved out to be the case. I expect that the variation could deviate based on overall charge weight of the cartridge, as has been pointed out in a previous post. I have been using a Chargemaster for well over ten years and found that it is accurate to .1gr. I hope it lasts forever:rolleyes: iMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.