Weighing options on new XP

Alaska_Seth

Howdy,

There are quite a few XP-100's on Gun Broker for $650-1800.

Option 1.

I figure if I am into one for $550 shipped, and it's a 221 I am going to be in another $288 plus shipping for a new Bolt from PTG.

Plus $275 for a stock.

Plus $450 to true, fit bolt and barrel

Plus $350 for a fluted barrel

Plus $180 for a brake fitted

Plus $160 for Cerakote.

Plus $160 for mounts.

Using original trigger stoned and worked over $100.

So now we are at $2483.

This is with me doing about half the work and a smith I trust doing half.

I am a gunsmith, but I won't have a lathe when we move in 7 months. And probably won't have one for quite a while.

Option 2

Defiance, Stiller, Hall and so on action $850-1400
Plus Cerakote $160
Plus mounts $160
Plus stock $275
Plus barrel fit and barrel fluted (no trueing so I am knocking off $350) $450
Plus trigger $200

Is $2095-2650 for what is a better gun.

Option 3

HS Precision $2760.

Price point makes them pretty even.

I have only ever owned Remington Specialty Pistols and a few of them were bought 2nd hand as customs.

I have never even touched a HSP, but i have owned a custom XP-100 with that stock on it. It was a 284 and the stock pinched my hand pretty hard.

I am going to use a McMillan stock if I build something from scratch.

Are you right handed or left?

Righty, I would have a left bolt, left port. Or a left hand action.

Lefty, standard XP is fine.

I may have sticker shock, but $2700 on a SP? I like the HSP, but just can't afford to play oin that playground.

I guess that why I like te Savage Striker and the Savage undesignated target action. Barrels from McGowen for $180 prechambered any contour. Bolts are available for any bolt head, swappable. Triggers from SSS. Stocks from Joel Russo. The big dollar these days is the scope, and there's no escaping that. I presonally make my own fancy wood center grip stocks. Its fun, even if maddening.

Your money, your choice.

Larry
Tinkerer

What is this LR pistol going to be used for? If strictly LR matches or hunting off a bench or even prone then I'd not even consider anything other than an undesignated Savage Target action and build from there. I just finished one on the Target action with a rear grip 7fingers stock in 6XC and also an XP100 converted to rear grip with another 7fingers stock in 260 with a McGowen Rem-Age barrel setup.

I already had two XP100 pistols to work with that we shot as mid grips for our local 1000 yard steel plate matches and wanted to see how one would work set up as rear grip. It needed a new barrel so we set it up as a rear grip. Now that I've had more time to work with my Savage Target LR pistol in 6XC it's hard to even take time to work with the XP100 although it does shoot fantastic but being lighter it does tend to jump slightly more than the heavier Savage so we can see hits/misses easier.

If anyone asks me after seeing all of our LR pistols which I'd go with if doing another one, order a Savage Target Action with one of the many pre-chambered barrels, add a 30moa mount and a 7fingers rear grip stock with a good scope and you'll have the rifle shooters looking for ways to increase their scores at those extended distance matches.

dsc00922cz.jpg

Topstrap

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.